How often to add new fish?

Spydersweb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
So this would be added to a newly cycled 90 gallon aquarium. With two small fish be appropriate to add after cycling? With three fish be OK? Or should I just add one? After adding the fish, when would be appropriate to add another fish or two? After two weeks? After a month? With my freshwater aquarium, I was able to add a fish or two spacing them out by a week or so without issues to my bio filter. With that be OK, or should I spaced it out more?

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
So this would be added to a newly cycled 90 gallon aquarium. With two small fish be appropriate to add after cycling? With three fish be OK? Or should I just add one? After adding the fish, when would be appropriate to add another fish or two? After two weeks? After a month? With my freshwater aquarium, I was able to add a fish or two spacing them out by a week or so without issues to my bio filter. With that be OK, or should I spaced it out more?
It would probably be best to keep up the ammonia somehow if you plan on quarantining then do that first. If you do not (I do not suggest this) then you can do that, what kind of fish are these?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're on the right track. A lot depends on the type and size of the fish.

If you're talking like two juvenile clowns, I think you'd be more than good to go, once you've confirmed you're fully cycled.
I haven't found any hard and fast rule, but peeps generally try to never go beyond doubling their bio-load.

The bacteria grow to consume the ammonia available and have to reproduce to process more. Just like you saw with your cycle, it takes some time. Even a years-old tank is pretty similar in that regard. Best judgement and common sense kinda thing IMHO.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back