How Often to Feed Reef Roids?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello, I believe my Xenia is using up all the nutrients in my tank so I'd like to start broadcast feeding Reef Roids. How often should I feed?

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I believe my Xenia is using up all the nutrients in my tank so I'd like to start broadcast feeding Reef Roids. How often should I feed?
It is very high in phosphate. So u hv to test weekly. U can start with once a week then slowly increase to twice a week (if your tank can handle it)

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started feeding my tank everyday because I'm currently running no fish. I also don't test parameters so I don't stress about my parameters going crazy. I have a 13 gallon nano and I do 50% water changes every week. When I started this tank I got into the habit of feeding more than other reef keepers. I also keep my green hair algae to keep the parameters I don't check in check. Good luck growing xenia I've heard they are pretty stable unless they die in the beginning.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I started feeding my tank everyday because I'm currently running no fish. I also don't test parameters so I don't stress about my parameters going crazy. I have a 13 gallon nano and I do 50% water changes every week. When I started this tank I got into the habit of feeding more than other reef keepers. I also keep my green hair algae to keep the parameters I don't check in check. Good luck growing xenia I've heard they are pretty stable unless they die in the beginning.
Oh the Xenia is growing like crazy, I think it's consuming all of the excess nutrients because none of my other corals appear to be growing.

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the Xenia is growing like crazy, I think it's consuming all of the excess nutrients because none of my other corals appear to be growing.
I don't think coral require nitrates and phosphates to grow as much. They mainly get energy from photosynthesis. What kind of light and what kind of coral? If you start feeding a lot I would avoid the xenia and direct feed the other coral.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't think coral require nitrates and phosphates to grow as much. They mainly get energy from photosynthesis. What kind of light and what kind of coral? If you start feeding a lot I would avoid the xenia and direct feed the other coral.
I have Kessil AP9x. Toadstools, GSP, Sinularia, Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Blue Clove Polyps, Cabbage Leather.

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Kessil AP9x. Toadstools, GSP, Sinularia, Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Blue Clove Polyps, Cabbage Leather.
How long have you been tracking the growth? I heard soft corals can do chemical warfare so maybe run some carbon? Other than that I have no other ideas.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dang well I fed 600 gallons of reef roids in my 500 gallon and not a single sign of any diatom or algae growth, but my corals do look a very tiny bit better in my opinion.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I limit to twice a week as they can elevate phosphate levels. I prefer to feed mysis shrimp to my coral

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back