How often to test?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am vested in having great parameters and I test weekly. Like everyone in the hobby I started with inexpensive testing and was not satisfied with color charts and I went all in on all the Hanna products I needed.
I test N04, P04, Alk, Cal, Mg, ph and Salinity weekly
My question is, would it be advisable/prudent to skip regular testing of Mg and Cal as they never really change much in my tank.
I would not skip No3,P04 or Alk but it seems a waste to test the other two weekly.
Opinions welcome!!!

Picture courtesy of BRS contributer lol
FB_IMG_1667229467188.jpg

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test magnesium once (or twice) a month. For calcium, I test it probably twice a month if not once a month. Nitrate and phosphate probably twice a month, and alkalinity every other day. I dose all for reef so this may be different for you.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally test alkalinity calcium and magnesium weekly in both systems and then make minor adjustments to the dosing as needed.

I rarely test nitrate and phosphate levels anymore, but in my case, both systems are well established now, (7 and 3 years old) I just keep an eye out for any signs that may be a cause for concern

I would say for systems less than a say 2 years old, weekly testing is a good idea to keep everything in line

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check MG, mine has dropped lately, corals warning sign. As soon as I dosed it up everyone was happy again. My CA doesn’t sway much, it’s always high with TMPRO.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love love love your image, well done. especially what you have for the soul stone. My response to how often should you test it has a lot to do with how often do you change water. And how much do you change.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 4 months old so I am still testing frequently.

Constant: pH, Temp, Salinity, ORP (Apex)
Daily: ALK, PO4
Weekly: NO3, CALCIUM
Bi-Weekly: MAG, SILICA

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 4 months old so I am still testing frequently.

Constant: pH, Temp, Salinity, ORP (Apex)
Daily: ALK, PO4
Weekly: NO3, CALCIUM
Bi-Weekly: MAG, SILICA
what test are you using for Silica? Are you also testing your RODI water for silica or just your tank? Thank you!

Back