How often u do water changes

Are you been more successful with your biocube tank than regular?


  • Total voters
    5

Marie7

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 15, 2017
Messages
581
Reaction score
322
Location
Tampa, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been thinking about how often do you think is the rule when it comes to do water changes on a cube tank?
I have a cube that i don’t even tnink it is 10 gallons, it gets fill with almost 5 gallons of water not to mention That I don’t do water changes often, i believe is one of the least that has given me any trouble except to replace the little pump but some times water gets a little yellow but bounce back
 
Less more often. When I had my IM Nuvo 20, I would change 2 Gallons maybe once a week. I had a low bio load. Now that I have a 50 SCA, I do 5 gallons, 2-3 times week on average, with again, a low bio-load. The larger the water change, the larger the swings. Also know check your parameters, this will validate your husbandry methods, how well you are doing.
 
I let my fish and coral talk to me. If something is off, I investigate and look at doing a change, which is rare.
 
Less more often. When I had my IM Nuvo 20, I would change 2 Gallons maybe once a week. I had a low bio load. Now that I have a 50 SCA, I do 5 gallons, 2-3 times week on average, with again, a low bio-load. The larger the water change, the larger the swings. Also know check your parameters, this will validate your husbandry methods, how well you are doing.
Will follow on the advise!
 
I have always done 20%, every 4 weeks.

However, now that I have the ability to mix SW, I am doing 'larger' changes when something (usually nitrates) tests out of normal.
 
I do 1 gallon per day every day on a roughly 84 gallon system. It’s automated with dosers and apex. All I have to do is empty the collection once a week and refill the saltwater once a week.
 
When I had my 18" cubed 25 gallon I did 3 gallons every week for a year.
Then while buying equipment for my 120 that I was going to run as a no scheduled water change system from day one, I stopped.
I dosed 2 part and trace and did no water changes for over a year before transfering it all into the 120.
Tank was stable and had good growth just like my 120 which is going on 15 months with only 2 small water changes of 9 and 12 gallons after a fuconazole treatment.
It can be done but not recommended for new reefers.
 
Last edited:
I do 5 gallons a week on my system of 60 gallons. I would like to try AWC.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new