How old are your gyres?

Blackened

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have at least 4 Gyres lying broken for 1 reason or another. They’re great when they last which is not more than 2 years IME.

I used to maintain aquariums for clients and these are poor compared to Tunze or early Vortechs...

The QDs have terrible wetsides with magnets cracking and leaching into tanks

Vteclover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased te first xf 150 on 1 june 2015.
No problems cleaning or with controller.
Just had to buy a new rotor when it cracked open when laying around on reserve.
Just like sabellafella
From new i always spotted a little 0,6 mm pinch hole in the plastic protection around the magnet.
Think that whas eventually the reason for bursting after 2 years

I clean them and use them alternating when i Bought a 250 2 years ago for the upgraded controller features.
No problems so far ,just de lcd display is a little faded on some displayletters

The old tunze are super.
But the new turbelle not so more
After over a year i had a 6040 shortcutted motorblock

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 3 years on the fx350 and advanced controller. Very happy with it, and have had zero problems. The motor block is very tricky to disassemble IME. Fortunately it really hasn't been necessary to do it since the first time I struggled with it.
I clean everything about every 6 months, when the flow starts to reduce.

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went 3 lazy years without a motor cleaning on the 150. All I did was swap cages and sometimes soak the motor in vinegar. I swear I thought I would've had it forever but it was time for an upgrade. Once cleaning I finally gotten to take the motor out and the shaft was split.

I think the 200 series is the best gyre, I had just switched to the 350 and am not so much excited about its design. The magnet is not strong at all. Doesn't come with extra cages or bushings, and overall the new flow guards aren't all out to what it "looks" to be. They upped aesthetics but took some key components away that had made the gyre worth it to me. I've used tunze pumps when I first got into the hobby, without a doubt the best power head but theres nothing like the performance on a gyre pump. The streams are insanely powetfull, good for a large system.

Overall I think the maxspect gyres are the best pump on the market, I will never have a system running without atleast one. The pricing is also fair especially if you catch them on sale.
Look at the size of the tunze impeller LOL
Resized_20190211_132432.jpg
20190328_200614.jpg
Screenshot_2019-03-22-19-46-42.png
20190322_195041.jpg
I never actually opened mine up to remove that bit to check, might do this next time i clean. Wow cant believe new 300 series doesnt come with extra rotors and cages.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's weird I never found them hard to clean at all, I just pop off the cage and replace with clean ones.
Taking the cages off is easy, but if you want to clean the motor block (per Maxspect's instructions) that is super hard. You need thin needle nose plyers and patience. Terrible design, but that would be tolerable if I could keep them running. Also the warranty period of 6 months is a joke (or is it 3 months?).

This quality is what I expect from Jebao at half the price.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older xf250 that's been running strong for 3 or 4 years (second owner) and three new xf250 that have been running about six months. I just cleaned them yesterday after 6 months. They are a little tricky at first to clean, but once you figure it out, it's not a big deal. The laminar flow is second to none and they are a fair price compared to the other brands.TThey've been steadily improving their quality over time from the looks of my two models, so I I think they deserve another look if you had problems with earlier models. Absolutely the only way to go with a giant deep tank in my opinion. I have a 60x36x27 tank and the propeller pumps just are too narrow. I'd need a dozen to match the flow of four gyres.

wranodj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pain to take apart. I just soak the whole pump every 3 months or so. They move a lot of water, especially the 250’s. They seem a little frail, not german manufactured at all. I have 4 running in a 135.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking the cages off is easy, but if you want to clean the motor block (per Maxspect's instructions) that is super hard. You need thin needle nose plyers and patience.

That's pretty much my experience, too. The next time I feel it necessary to take the motor block apart, I will have spare/new bushings and retainers for reassembly, because the retainer especially is easily destroyed during disassembly. This was not a good design. Maybe the new fx300-series has been improved in this aspect?

BTW, I typo'ed in my earlier post by saying I was using the fx350. It should have read 'fx250'.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why everyone states they are a pain to clean?

Pop off the cages, pull off the rotors, tap impeller shaft one way or the other until the retaining bushing comes out. Then clean with a toothbrush like any other pump. I don't find them any harder to disassemble, reassemble, and clean then any other pump(vortech, jebao, or tunze in my experience).

Been running my 230 for 2 years now controlled via apex and the icecap module. I pull and clean mine every month just like all my other wave makers.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're lucky, homer. I actually had one motor block that Coralvue confirmed could not be disassembled. They replaced it with a new one that could be disassembled, but not at all easily. My retaining bushing has never "popped out", or even budged in the slightest by tapping on the impeller shaft. Not even with some serious pounding on it (to the point that I worried about breaking the ceramic shaft).

Nailqueencat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of the first UK xf150 gyres in Dec 2014. Couldn’t even get it running because the controller was defective. They sent me a new one immediately and all was fine. However, whilst still under warranty, but by bit, every single part got changed over for new (except for the outside magnet!). The motor gave up a few months ago and I had to purchase another one. However, as PhreeByrd mentioned above, I can barely get this one apart and I’m scared in case I break the ceramic shaft. So all I do is change out the rotors and cages every few weeks (I have 2 sets to make that job easy and quick). I’ve stuck with the gyre despite all the teething problems as I think it’s such a clever piece of kit. It’s all I use on my 650l system. In 15 years of this hobby, I’ve only ever had to buy two big old fashioned Tunzes (which still work!) plus this gyre. Think I’ve done pretty well!

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The XF130 was plain and simple junk, i threw it in the garbage after a year.
I have two XF280's and two MP60s in my 425gallon tank. I run the XF280's at 100% and they require new bushings every month. I like the performance of them however, I wish I had bought 4 MP60's.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you keep them maintained as they suggest - I think you're good. I have had problems with stripping and breaking of the ceramic piece and the plastic around it. Supposedly the 300 series is easier to maintain/put back together (I bought those) and got rid of the older models.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my original 100 series for almost 3 years. I have changed to the ruggedized propellers and they are now on the Advanced Controller. I take them and clean them with a light vinegar solution about twice a year.

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still running a 130, upgraded to the ruggedized bushing, and to this point it’s been a tank. I love these pumps and would absolutely recommend them to a friend.

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added 2 more to my tank so now I only have 3 pumps. The flow of them is just soo good. I had 5 pumps in there before but was kinda counter productive as all flow comes from one side so get halfway down the tank then get pulled back. I did pull apart my original one too. It wasn't that hard to get the thing apart. Surprisingly wasn't too dirty either for 16months of use. Changed to bushing to and its silent again

c2l2parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 years. Never had an issue. After about 18 months a friend commented to me that they needed to be cleaned regularly. Really? I took his advice, and it did seem to increase flow after the cleaning.

crxej1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 2xf 250 for 3 months and sold them. Didn't like them

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering how long people have been running their gyres for. Can these be considered a premium piece of equipment yet like tunze or have they not been around long enough. I know 100 series had its issues but 200 series(my one) seem pretty good.

I’ve had my original 150’s running for 4 years now. I clean it every month or two and it runs rock solid. Have swapped out pieces over the years, new blades, etc, but the motor is original and it works great. Premium for sure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back