How quickly can cupramine provide relief for velvet?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for ich it can take a few days but velvet seems to move much faster in the life cycle.

My poor chevron is pretty infested. Very quick moving, less than 36 hours from perfect to obviously stressed, swimming in place labored, and with velvet appearance.

He hides and I can't grab it to do any dips unfortunately so I guess it's good that it can get away...

I will try to grab it again tonight and provide a formalin bath if it's still kicking for instant relief

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper and Chloroquine phosphate both only target the "free swimming stage" of ich & velvet. Whereas with ich it typically takes 2 weeks (on average) to reach this stage, velvet's life cycle produces dinospores in just a matter of days. The trick to saving a fish from velvet is performing FW dips and optimally formalin baths to keep the fish's gills clear until he can recover. Secondary bacterial infections are also common in fish with velvet, due to damage done from feeding dinoflagellates. Velvet is a devastating disease and cannot be managed as ich sometimes is. A small percentage of fish (usually clowns) can develop temporary immunity (but are still carriers) for up to 6 months.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find the guy to dip him I'll look again before bed

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better hurry up to either catch the tang or treat the whole tank. Catching a tang in the size of your tank can be tricky. If you can't catch him easily then don't do it, coz chasing him down may stress him out and accelerate the damage. My vote is to treat the entire tank with cupramine right away with the recommended dosage. At this point, since you say he is heavily infested, your goal should be to save as many other fishes as possible. Velvet moves fast so..., treat it aggressively, hope for the best, and prepare for the worse. Good luck.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang. I found him... Dead :(.

Cupramine give 'em hell!!!

I see. It's too late. Did you have other meds in the water? If none and he died from the first dosage of cupramine within a day then he probably wasn't gonna make it anyway. Sorry about your tang.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had dosed the tank. He looked pretty far gone. This strain of velvet is Ebola, I've had it once before and it took a couple weeks to kill because my fish were resistant to parasites... This strain is horrendous.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back