How rare is this starfish?

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I went to LFS and he has this beutifull red 6 inch starfish and claims it's very rare he wanted $60 buks for it. I bargained to 50. Is this really rare or was he BSing me?

IMG-20190324-WA0034.jpeg

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always gotten amazing deals by this store. I never felt like he trying to rip me off

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dam. U win some u lose some. He claims it was tank raised by ora.
If that was true it might be worth $60 bucks. But I am 95% sure ORA doesn’t “tank raise” any starfish but especially not linckia. We can’t keep them alive in captivity let alone get them to reproduce.

I agree that LFS fed you a crock of crap. They’re common, and beautiful. Unfortunately they are generally short-lived in captivity.

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that was true it might be worth $60 bucks. But I am 95% sure ORA doesn’t “tank raise” any starfish but especially not linckia. We can’t keep them alive in captivity let alone get them to reproduce.

I agree that LFS fed you a crock of crap. They’re common, and beautiful. Unfortunately they are generally short-lived in captivity.
Dam,should have posted here 1st

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I check online I dont see them for sale on any website

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see on blue zoo they want $40 for the size I got. I paid 50

SmartSelect_20190324-144909_Chrome.jpg

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see on blue zoo they want $40 for the size I got. I paid 50

SmartSelect_20190324-144909_Chrome.jpg

I don't think the main issue is the $50, rather the fact that it likely will die sooner than later and foul up the water. I wanted a star fish but from what I read most just don't do well in an aquarium.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way you’ll be out $50 when it dies, probably soon... why not return it and buy something that’ll last?

Agreed even if it was worth 500 or whatever, from what I read they melt away somewhere between a few months and a year.

This is likely the reason you don't see starfish in everyones reef tank.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sean Rand, how long has your tank been established? That’ll factor greater with Linckia stars. Slow/drop-acclimation is a absolute necessity IMO. Look for *anything* that looks like even a slight tear in the skin (bad sign).

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sean Rand, how long has your tank been established? That’ll factor greater with Linckia stars. Slow/drop-acclimation is a absolute necessity IMO. Look for *anything* that looks like even a slight tear in the skin (bad sign).
My tank is a couple of months old. I already have a couple of starfish in the tank that r doing very well

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I went to LFS and he has this beutifull red 6 inch starfish and claims it's very rare he wanted $60 buks for it. I bargained to 50. Is this really rare or was he BSing me?

IMG-20190324-WA0034.jpeg
We all been there, I hate when told(lfs) certain corals from a region, and their not.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all been there, I hate when told(lfs) certain corals from a region, and their not.

I personally don't care about region or rarity at the moment. I buy what I think looks nice. I don't really care if I overpaid buy a few bucks or what not either. My happiness doesn't come from saving money. I know some people's does, just stating what I like lol.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a couple of months old. I already have a couple of starfish in the tank that r doing very well

You should probably return it then. I've kept a blue Linckia for a little over 3 years but that was in a very mature tank with a lot of biofilm for him to feed on. They are hard to keep but definitely shouldn't be tried in a tank that's not mature.

Munching on an asterina
linckia-asterina.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%

Back