OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think he would take the starfish back. I have gotten crazy deals by him that's why I thought he was telling me the truth. I have not a bellus angel for $30 ,YT $25 , regal angel $45 and a a PB tang for $25.
Agreed even if it was worth 500 or whatever, from what I read they melt away somewhere between a few months and a year.

This is likely the reason you don't see starfish in everyones reef tank.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably return it then. I've kept a blue Linckia for a little over 3 years but that was in a very mature tank with a lot of biofilm for him to feed on. They are hard to keep but definitely shouldn't be tried in a tank that's not mature.

Munching on an asterina
linckia-asterina.jpg

How old was the tank when you added it? Just curious as one day maybe I'll try it. Not anytime soon but maybe years later after I get a much bigger tank lol.

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old was the tank when you added it? Just curious as one day maybe I'll try it. Not anytime soon but maybe years later after I get a much bigger tank lol.
I dont know if it was the rite thing but my starfish was the 1st living think I added to the tank. Probably stupid but hes still alive and thriving

U

User1

View Badges
I check online I dont see them for sale on any website

Just means they are out of stock. LA, DD, Blue Zoo and others carry them. Linckia's are not rare and usually flagged as advanced care for hobbyist. You see blue, purple, and orange/red in our hobby. There is a good article found in advanced aquarist. If you haven't read it I would highly recommend it if you want any long tern success.

ORA does not raise those - at least not on their web portal. You can check this on your own by visiting their portal. My personal take is that the LFS you visited and purchased this from lied to you.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They die because we can't supply their nutritional needs, especially in a new tank. Their metabolism is slow so it takes a few months often. Just because it looks ok so far doesn't mean it will survive long term. What species of starfish do you have?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't care about region or rarity at the moment. I buy what I think looks nice. I don't really care if I overpaid buy a few bucks or what not either. My happiness doesn't come from saving money. I know some people's does, just stating what I like lol.
The point is, LFS that lie to customers. Not good business.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is, LFS that lie to customers. Not good business.
They lied about where it came from, lied about how “rare” it is, and they overcharged. I wouldn’t trust a word they say after that. Not a bad idea to do your own research real quick before making a purchase from them again. Good on them for taking it back, though...

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They lied about where it came from, lied about how “rare” it is, and they overcharged. I wouldn’t trust a word they say after that. Not a bad idea to do your own research real quick before making a purchase from them again. Good on them for taking it back, though...
Some corals not much info, but the more you buy, from different vendors, you get an idea of the region. Some corals look almost the same and their's non-photosynthetic and photosynthetic . Bummer

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS is justification for a smart phone right here. I can whip out my phone in the store and look for information on that fish, invertebrate, coral or garden plant (yes, I garden obsessively, too). I learned my lesson when I bought an 18" "black lace" Sambucus perennial, drove home, checked the interwebs and found that these are shrubs. Right now it's over 12 feet tall. And gorgeous. But not what I thought it would be.

AcroCrush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse my LFS uses is that they don't ship well as to why they never have starfish. My guess is that nobody buys them before they die in the store if their coral are any similar indication of the LFS talents at saltwater husbandry.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impulse buying for a reef tank is not good my friend must do research before putting anything in :)

Yeah ahmmm what @Ling_Thing Just said...

Whatever you do just DON'T read my build thread! JKJK everything on the list as far as fish was cleared on one of the stocking forums on here. May be a good idea to try that for anything added?

Just an idea. I once brought home 2 Red Was Slider turtles in this little shoe box sized death trap. I quickly learned they needed much bigger tanks. Everytime I'm about to get any pets, I think of how that one little bitty quarter sized turtle quickly needs a 120+ gallon tank or pond. We ended up giving the turtles to our LFS when we moved but I do one day hope to do a stock tank build.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a couple of months old. I already have a couple of starfish in the tank that r doing very well

This is not a mature tank yet. Good that you are able to return it. I've always read and been told they don't acclimate easily and almost always shrivel up and die eventually. It's the exact reason why I haven't even bothered to try one. I go with cucumbers instead. :0)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back