How risky are they?

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I know these questions are difficult to answer as every fish has a differing personality but i just wanted to hear people's experiences before I take the plunge.

I have a 200 gallon reef tank that will contain a large number of softies, LPS and soon SPS corals but would like to add two dwarf angels - a Coral Beauty and a Red Stripe (Eibl). I don't want a Flame even though they're beautiful because of their aggression (I'm sure some have peaceful examples but I don't want to take the risk).

I look forward to hearing your experiences and whether they feasted on your corals or left them alone (especially if well fed).

Cheers

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small coral beauty for a while, never experienced aggression, but it was kept in an aggressive FowLR.

Liveaquaria says however they will nip at soft and stony corals.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a lot of it is luck that you get a mellow fish. For example, I have a Valentini Puffer in my reef tank. He hasn't touched ONE coral. He doesn't even pay attention to them.

20200218_180846-01.jpeg

OP
OP
Marsh980

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a lot of it is luck that you get a mellow fish. For example, I have a Valentini Puffer in my reef tank. He hasn't touched ONE coral. He doesn't even pay attention to them.

20200218_180846-01.jpeg

I am so jealous, I would love a puffer, so would my 3 year old. I'm just nervous that it'll eat my corals and all my inverts... I do have a Blue Throat Trigger and Marine Betta and touch wood so far they've left my inverts alone

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had about 50/50 experiences with them. Kept flames, coral beauty, yellow, Eibli, multibar, and pygmy, had about half of them end up nipping at stuff. One of the same species is a model citizen when another goes rogue and destroys a coral. You'll just have to keep it fat and see what one you get

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so jealous, I would love a puffer, so would my 3 year old. I'm just nervous that it'll eat my corals and all my inverts... I do have a Blue Throat Trigger and Marine Betta and touch wood so far they've left my inverts alone

Yeah, I wanted one so bad but didn't want to give up my coral. So I just took the chance and so far it turned out fine. I've had him about six months now.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have stated, it is always a gamble. I have tried a ton of different species (Coral Beauty, Flame, Golden, Eibli, Potters, etc) and they have all had to be removed due to coral decimation. It has always been the fleshy LPS that are picked on though.....I have never tried them with SPS.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200218_180846-01.jpeg
Individual fish definitely run a wide gamut - I also think there's a wide range of what people think "well fed" means. I've seen tanks that get fed once a week, and tanks that get fed every time the owner walks by.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame angel that was a model citizen for a year then decided to eat corals. wiped out Pocillapora, a large rock full of GSP (several yrs old) then started eating zoas. Will never add any dwarf angel again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back