How should I proceed with my Triton Refugium?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do recommend as many different species as you can for the reason that each species has their own preference to ideal conditions to grow. I know in the US some states have limitations as to what species you are allowed, especially caulerpa, so you can only use what you can.
If cheato is what your system wants to grow then let it, even if it does dominate over other species, there may come a time where your system goes through a bit of a shift in parameters and a different species now takes the batton and becomes the dominant species, this happens a couple of times a year in my personal tank which I put down to seasonal changes externally having an effect. It only takes that one leaf hiding in the corner remaining patiently waiting it's turn....

The above is also why we recommend a full spectrum algae light as although a LED security light may be excellent at growing Chaeto the moment one of the other species might want to have a go at taking the lead if the light is not up to it then the algae bed will suffer...

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a thought...but since chaeto grows so much quicker than the other macros and triton recommends a variety, why not section of the chaeto in your sump with egg crate or something similar?? This will allow the other macros to still receive light and be given an opportunity to grow and contribute to nutrient export. Then just trim back the chaeto as needed, like now haha

I was wondering about sectioning off the different types of algae as well. Seems like it's not necessary though?

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a different thought. I'm completely guessing (slightly educated guessing...). My understanding of colors is that the color something appears to us is the color that is reflected and not absorbed. So would that mean that it's possible that the "green" algae is absorbing the red light spectrum from your light and growing, while the "red" algae is reflecting it, and maybe needs a different spectrum for growth (such as green or blue?). Although it looks like the light is a full spectrum light, but I couldn't find a spectrum distribution which is popular info provided for reef lights. Wonder what would happen if you add another light with a different spectrum.

again, a complete guess, just spitballing ideas type of thing.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, this is considered a "full spectrum" light.
Heavy on the reds and blues.
7835e5be-341f-42d5-a57b-2a8d0066e60c.png

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I need to take another pic, but my fuge is now what someone else on the forum referred to as, "A brick of chaeto". lol
In other words, the entire fuge is filled with a dense cube of chaeto (and those small bits of other macros mixed in).
What I'm a little worried about now, is the chaeto possibly blocking the teeth/slots that send the water to the middle section of my sump.
If I'm going to leave the macros untouched, I'm wondering if there should have been an extra baffle to separate the macros from those slots?

Here's a pic of my sump again so you can see what I mean. The slots are on that red baffle on the far right.
How is everyone else handling this? Think I might need to periodically trim after all?
I'm trying to keep an eye on this daily. I don't want to wake up one morning to a flood due to a cheato dam. ;)

i-SpSs7hN.jpg

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the containers for dosing?

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned about what happens if your cheato wants to keep growing due to availability of nutrients but can't due to space restrictions. I'm interested to know if your N and P start creeping up.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the containers for dosing?
voss_original.png

I would be concerned about what happens if your cheato wants to keep growing due to availability of nutrients but can't due to space restrictions. I'm interested to know if your N and P start creeping up.
That's actually a pretty good question.
Although I could use a little slow down in nutrient uptake at the moment.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, that is what my concern with chaeto it grows to fast and over takes other alages. Using it in a reactor style would be best it is contained then.
We'll see how it goes!
Worst case, i start it over again with everything BUT chaeto. :)
Right now, it's a solid chaeto cube and I can't tell what else is in there.
Still keeping an eye on the slots and flow.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've found that the Mars Hydro grows cheato much better than dragon's breath. I used to light my fuge with an AI Hydra which I kept at about 12-15k and I grew dragon's breath by the bucket loads while the cheato stayed in a small dense ball. I switched to the Mars Hydro this June and the cheato has taken off while the dragon's breath barely grows at all. Overall I'd say total algae growth under the Mars Hydro is a good 50% more than the AI, but I do miss the look of a tank full of bright red dragon's breath. FWIW I pull a couple of gallons of cheato out every 10 days or so, primarily to leave room to swim for the two small fish I keep in there.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news... i found this amusing.
I'm acclimating a small derasa clam I just picked up and the bucket is being supported by the cheato cube. :eek::D

i-wqsPbRH.jpg

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is a Mars hydro the best LED light to get for the Triton sump? I just did my DIY version copying the design of d2mini and I am trying to figure out the best light to get for it? Has anyone tried the kessil grow lights ?

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I need to take another pic, but my fuge is now what someone else on the forum referred to as, "A brick of chaeto". lol
In other words, the entire fuge is filled with a dense cube of chaeto (and those small bits of other macros mixed in).
What I'm a little worried about now, is the chaeto possibly blocking the teeth/slots that send the water to the middle section of my sump.
If I'm going to leave the macros untouched, I'm wondering if there should have been an extra baffle to separate the macros from those slots?

Here's a pic of my sump again so you can see what I mean. The slots are on that red baffle on the far right.
How is everyone else handling this? Think I might need to periodically trim after all?
I'm trying to keep an eye on this daily. I don't want to wake up one morning to a flood due to a cheato dam. ;)

i-SpSs7hN.jpg

This is a good way to handle the chaeto over flow.

P4130005_zps3hztwip7.jpg

P4190009_zpsg1qeko8h.jpg

Someone in another forum had this great idea. They used a plastic canvas used for cross stitching found at hobby stores like Michaels and pieces of 2" PVC.
If you make one perpendicular cut on the PVC screen holders they act as a spring loaded clip as well as the screen holder.
Cut the canvas to the inside PVC diameter. Cut the PVC to 1" clips. Make one perpendicular cut on each clip. Roll the canvas and put into the clips. Spread each PVC clip and clip to the top of the over flow baffle. Cost $5.00

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting!
I wonder if that type of screen impedes flow at all.
Right now I'm worried about the chaeto blocking the slots, not growing in them, so I wonder if this would make any difference in that respect?

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This creates a larger flow thru area. Just snap it in place over the top of the slotted over flow you have. I've been using it for a year now.
My block of chaeto has died off some now. The calerpa is picking back up again.

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should remove 2/3rds of your macro algae or more. Bring it back to the tennis ball size you started with. It stops being a productive export when it can't grow anymore. I usually take 2/3rds of my macro algae out every other week. Keeps it nice and fresh and does wonders for the tank. Lets me feed the system as much as I want with lots of good fish and coral food.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 54 28.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 39 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 65 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back