How should tank for a fish be displayed?

How should tank size be displayed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that has always bothered me with care requirements for fish is the way the size of the tank is displayed. As we all know, tanks come in many different shapes and sizes. Just because a tank has the “proper” gallon requirements doesn’t necessarily mean the fish has ample swimming room. What are everyone’s thoughts on this topic?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Gallons is simple enough. When you've been around the hobby for long enough I think it's fairly easy to know the length of the tank size with just the total gallons.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I think about it, gallons are important for stability (i.e. if a fish produces a lot of waste), but footprint is more important when considering the size of the fish. Second to dimensions is the aquascaping--even a small tank can have a larger footprint if the rockwork takes into accounts the needs of your fish and can reduce aggression by breaking up the lines of sight.

When they talk about gallons, I believe that they are referring to standard tanks FYI. With unusual shapes/dimensions, use your judgement

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I think about it, gallons are important for stability (i.e. if a fish produces a lot of waste), but footprint is more important when considering the size of the fish. Second to dimensions is the aquascaping--even a small tank can have a larger footprint if the rockwork takes into accounts the needs of your fish and can reduce aggression by breaking up the lines of sight.

When they talk about gallons, I believe that they are referring to standard tanks FYI. With unusual shapes/dimensions, use your judgement
I agree with that but I think there could be confusion when a fish says 120 v. 125. A 120 is 4ft and a 125 is 6ft

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish, the horizontal swimming distance is much more meaningful than how many gallons the tank has. My vote is for dimensions.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be helpful if they listed the minimum long side length as well as the gallons.

A non reefer and I were talking about tank sizes and fish needs the other day. At one point the idea of a tank with curved ends came up. I think this would effectively make the "swimming distance" unlimited. The fish could just simply swim laps around the tank without ever stopping... kind of like NASCAR. lol

There would be human drawbacks to this kind of tank though. The curved ends would distort the view, it would probably have to be an acrylic tank, and the stand would be hard to build/manufacture.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be helpful if they listed the minimum long side length as well as the gallons.

A non reefer and I were talking about tank sizes and fish needs the other day. At one point the idea of a tank with curved ends came up. I think this would effectively make the "swimming distance" unlimited. The fish could just simply swim laps around the tank without ever stopping... kind of like NASCAR. lol

There would be human drawbacks to this kind of tank though. The curved ends would distort the view, it would probably have to be an acrylic tank, and the stand would be hard to build/manufacture.
This is not a bad idea. They already do a similar thing with sharks. I feel as though the same benefits can be riches simply by just having a wider tank since many fish tend to swim along the rocks anyway

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a bad idea. They already do a similar thing with sharks. I feel as though the same benefits can be riches simply by just having a wider tank since many fish tend to swim along the rocks anyway
Yep, shark tanks are a good example of this. A wider tank does help, but that is not always possible in a lot of homes. For my current upgrade build, I was only able to stretch it to a 30" wide tank and that was already pushing it.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, shark tanks are a good example of this. A wider tank does help, but that is not always possible in a lot of homes. For my current upgrade build, I was only able to stretch it to a 30" wide tank and that was already pushing it.
Personally, I think 30-36” is perfect. For most fish it gives them ample room to swim across the tank without feeling like they’re pacing the glass. Of course this is just a hunch since I’m not a fish lol

Gonzomark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that has always bothered me with care requirements for fish is the way the size of the tank is displayed. As we all know, tanks come in many different shapes and sizes. Just because a tank has the “proper” gallon requirements doesn’t necessarily mean the fish has ample swimming room. What are everyone’s thoughts on this topic?
I tend to agree gallons is most relevant for most discussions - - medications, readings, salt, number of fish supported and so on. When I want to investigate how much to use in treating alkaline in my 100 gallon tank for example, Im not going to find advice for a 48 inch tank.

Dimensions however are more helpful for lightning (how deep of a tank would a given led light reach), stands or other physical accessories. At least in my small experience

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree gallons is most relevant for most discussions - - medications, readings, salt, number of fish supported and so on. When I want to investigate how much to use in treating alkaline in my 100 gallon tank for example, Im not going to find advice for a 48 inch tank.

Dimensions however are more helpful for lightning (how deep of a tank would a given led light reach), stands or other physical accessories. At least in my small experience
That is a good point. Obviously it would be tough to dose a tank based on dimensions haha

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there are definitely some fish that need more distance to travel than others, dimensions should be added to size requirements

Ive also seen tanks almost wall to wall with rock and corals and the fish could barely go anywhere even though the tank is huge. Open swimming area is also definitely important when considering larger fish

rknapp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BOTH ways; there are new people entering the hobby every single day, and both ways of describing a tank are useful.

+1 for this answer and my vote. Dimensions are most important, and I certainly can determine gallons from that with some math, but having the gallon total makes it convenient for the reader and helps to quickly create a fuller picture of the tank in question. If I could only have one, give me dimensions as gallons alone may not tell me enough without making assumptions.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you have the right flow and the correct pumps and equipment....a fish would swim in your current if needed. Im not sayin its right to keep a 10" naso in a 4' 120g over a 6' 125g. Im just saying my point of view.
D

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you have the right flow and the correct pumps and equipment....a fish would swim in your current if needed. Im not sayin its right to keep a 10" naso in a 4' 120g over a 6' 125g. Im just saying my point of view.
D
I think that’s an interesting point. Probably a little more applicable to smaller fish that need larger tanks such as a fairy wrasse. To be totally honest I don’t even think a 125 is a good fit for larger tangs and angels. I feel as if tank width often gets overlooked

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D
I recently added a powerhead in my 60g (before that the only flow was from my return pump via two Sea-Swirls) and my clowns love to swim into the current. They swim into it and stay there for a while and then come out for a little brake and do it all over again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back