How to Acclimate and quarantine new clams? And how to remove them from rock.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a clam inhales to much air,,, it's a goner, you forgot to mention that part? So you should dip the hole container into your tank and than place the clam in to your DT. Don't worry about the water in the container as long as your flow is off and you hold i water level , after that raise the container and dump that water out.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a clam inhales to much air,,, it's a goner, you forgot to mention that part? So you should dip the hole container into your tank and than place the clam in to your DT. Don't worry about the water in the container as long as your flow is off and you hold i water level , after that raise the container and dump that water out.

Clams can't be exposed to air? I do it all the time and have never ever had an issue with it. Just don't expose them for long periods of time. They can pump the air out of themselves by opening and closing quickly.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping of clams isn't necessary and if improperly done can kill them. Only fresh water dips are to be used on clams and that's only in a last resort situation.

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping of clams isn't necessary and if improperly done can kill them. Only fresh water dips are to be used on clams and that's only in a last resort situation.
Thanks skinz. I have a clam coming in this week and was glad you told me this. No DIP for joo...lol

Trigger7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice info. I love clams and plan on adding more. But was always fearfully of tearing their foot and also read the air concerns as well.

Ms. Mermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Crocea and quarentined it for two weeks, checking every day for parasites. Never found anything. Put it in my DT (which I treat like an operating room) and the next day there was a tiny 3/8" gorilla crab shed in the tank. So now I have to catch that rotten little ...Obviously, there was a crab larvae inside the clam!
d562cc2c-3ce8-4269-b3d5-953434139785_zpsae7ec027.jpg

I am interested in getting a clam and I know I will be putting it in a QT but if there should be a crab as in the picture will it come out while in QT?
Are will it stay in the clam?
Is it actually inside the clam or is it on the shell itself?

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a clam and dipped it a week ago and i saw that there is a tiny black spotted shrimp in the clam.Is it going to kill him?

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this is listed elsewhere on r2r, but whats the quarantine time frame for clams?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris,
When you talked about QT'ing your new clams for 10 days in a 12g simple setup, is this tank an already biologically established tank?
Can a QT be setup immediately for incoming clams or do you need it to be cycled?

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris,
When you talked about QT'ing your new clams for 10 days in a 12g simple setup, is this tank an already biologically established tank?
Can a QT be setup immediately for incoming clams or do you need it to be cycled?
Since clams usually don't need to be fed if good lighting is provided I would suspect the qt won't necessarily need to be cycled. I usually don't cycle my qt for anemones either since I do water changes every day for the cipro treatment. In this case we are not treating it with anything so water changes everyday won't be necessary anyways.

I'll attempt at my next jumbo maxima clams later this week and see how they do. Just can't seem to get hardy specimens to survive long enough these days. Most of mine seem to get hazed by bristle worms lately.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm To bring up something from the past - I was also wondering it providing glucose during the QT period would be helpful as well. Bob Fenner did a talk for adding glucose to aid in recovering anemones and the latest Coral Magazine also touches on Tridacna utilizing glucose to survive. I also searched and found in an old thread here talking about glucose treatments on weak clams from pyramid snail attacks.

What do you guys think? Also adding a simple hang on the back filter with GAC should also help with the QT tank too wouldn't you think?

Back