How to aquascape a solid dry rock scape - beast method!

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Couple of pics..

EC1E0E6A-A853-4A33-B145-03D2BD421C54.jpeg

9B5A9199-E6CF-44C6-98E6-1E2AD2B8DC70.jpeg

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the video yesterday and have some questions!

Today I'm attempting a mini scape. Seems easy. I'm just having a hard time getting the two pieces to stay together. How long are you letting it set? Maybe I'm just being impatient? Crappy glue? It's what i had on hand, I know others have success with it, but it's not holding for me :/

Thanks in advance, Maggie

My sized down version attached, lol

16300836396709127686871201752491.jpg

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I watched the video yesterday and have some questions!

Today I'm attempting a mini scape. Seems easy. I'm just having a hard time getting the two pieces to stay together. How long are you letting it set? Maybe I'm just being impatient? Crappy glue? It's what i had on hand, I know others have success with it, but it's not holding for me :/

Thanks in advance, Maggie

My sized down version attached, lol

16300836396709127686871201752491.jpg

Hey Maggie! Happy to help. For small pieces gorilla super glue gel will work well. Going to need to hold them together for about a minute to let the bond set. BUT if you really want to step up your game to beast mode then you need a thin cyanoacrylate glue like what I used (this stuff sets immediately and the bond is literally stronger than the rock itself):

Glue Masters (Glue Masters Premium Thin Super Glue - cyanoacrylate): https://amzn.to/3j9B9tn
*** MAKE SURE YOU SELECT “THIN” ***

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Maggie! Happy to help. For small pieces gorilla super glue gel will work well. Going to need to hold them together for about a minute to let the bond set. BUT if you really want to step up your game to beast mode then you need a thin cyanoacrylate glue like what I used (this stuff sets immediately and the bond is literally stronger than the rock itself):

Glue Masters (Glue Masters Premium Thin Super Glue - cyanoacrylate): https://amzn.to/3j9B9tn
Thanks!! What did we ever do before quick shipping?? I ordered a bottle, THIN! I'm experimenting with tiny rocks now, so I'd like to master this when I evict my freshwater fishies from my 75g. I'll have a better start with my dry scape.

I'll definitely be following along on your build!!

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks cool video Uncle Sy (since you are drinking tea) I've been thinking of redoing my rockscape for better flow
You made me spit out my tea!!! Hahaha! My kiddos love watching that show… Uncle Sy is my fave. lol

Babado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This! I used Gluemasters Thin Super glue to hold all my rockwork together with the sand method and it holds amazingly well. There were even a few times I wanted to change and attempted to break the hold but the rock broke before the joint where it was glued.

A few of my aquascape pieces easily weigh 50lbs and the joints all hold with no issue. There are a few picture of my pieces in my build thread. Just put a layer of sand/Aragonite then layer of glue to soak into it then more sand and then more glue.... and so on.

Good luck with your scape!
Also, Gluemasters is active on the forums here and I think give a discount to all reef2reef members. @Glue Masters

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This! I used Gluemasters Thin Super glue to hold all my rockwork together with the sand method and it holds amazingly well. There were even a few times I wanted to change and attempted to break the hold but the rock broke before the joint where it was glued.

A few of my aquascape pieces easily weigh 50lbs and the joints all hold with no issue. There are a few picture of my pieces in my build thread. Just put a layer of sand/Aragonite then layer of glue to soak into it then more sand and then more glue.... and so on.

Good luck with your scape!
Also, Gluemasters is active on the forums here and I think give a discount to all reef2reef members. @Glue Masters

Isn’t it crazy how strong it is!!!!? Love this process and it makes me want to do more scapes. lol! Thanks for commenting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back