How to aquascape live rock

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had live ocean rock from TBS in my tank for a couple months now. It's covered with filter feeders, coraline, sponges, and macro algae. Ideally I want to throw it in the sump to make room for aquascaped dry rock, however there's no more room in my sump.

The alternative is to aquascape all these live rocks together into a structure, but I don't know how to go about doing this. Has anyone done this before? I don't see any practical way of doing this under water, and taking it out to do it on a desk would kill anything live.

Any ideas how I should proceed, and what the best material (super glue, epoxy, cement, or rods) would be?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gel super glue. it works under water and is easier than the really liquid stuff. just make sure it's in a container that doesn't pull water back in. the epoxy sticks work too, but they cost more. You can also just stack them up and try to wedge them together.

you paid a lot of money for that rock, I'd keep it in the display.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about this as well for some changes I want to make soon...

I think I'm going to drain some dt water into a rubbermade, just enough to keep the rocks covered and do the work in that. As long as they stay wet with saltwater the die off should be minimal is what I'm coming up with... Good luck.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had live ocean rock from TBS in my tank for a couple months now. It's covered with filter feeders, coraline, sponges, and macro algae. Ideally I want to throw it in the sump to make room for aquascaped dry rock, however there's no more room in my sump.

The alternative is to aquascape all these live rocks together into a structure, but I don't know how to go about doing this. Has anyone done this before? I don't see any practical way of doing this under water, and taking it out to do it on a desk would kill anything live.

Any ideas how I should proceed, and what the best material (super glue, epoxy, cement, or rods) would be?
Super Glue and aragonite sand. Taking him out of the water won't kill everything on them if it's done a few minutes at a time. You want the watery Super Glue and dry sand that's really fine. Hold the pieces where you want them squirt the super glue and throw the sand on it do this multiple times to each joint. Back in the water. Nothing should die and as for sponges, just give the rock a good tap and all the pores close up you should be good for a few minutes while gluing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back