How to be successful with a copperband butterflyfish

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but why would someone new to the hobby do a write up on a fish that people have been keeping since the 1970’s?

Why would you even have a problem with him sharing his knowledge and experiences with these fishes ??

Thank you for the write up!

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but why would someone new to the hobby do a write up on a fish that people have been keeping since the 1970’s?

To help educate members on questions, concerns and such.

I for one can respect the info.

Assumptions on length in our hobby are sometimes viewed as a glance at 'Joined:' under the Avatar here and simply put it doesn't reflect the actual time in the hobby unless it comes up in conversation.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a Mod but I am a Geezer and I don't like arguing. If I wanted to fight I would tell my wife she looks fat in those shorts. :eek:
I love copperbands and usually reply on copperband threads. I like all weird shaped fish. The OP is correct about their diet, I do agree with that. Many people try to feed them wrong.
I also wrote something about copperbands here, although I like everyone else am no expert and every copperband is different as they are one of the few fish that have a personality and I believe they are smarter than most fish as I mention here http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/succeed-with-copperband-butterflyfish-chelmon-rostratus-2888/

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had success with a copperband. It's alive, fat and eating. It took a little while to get it eating but we got through it with some trial and error. I see a lot of other Australian reefers doing well with them also which makes me think it is probably not some brilliance on my part but a lot to do with the condition the fish arrives in. We don't seem to have the same survival issues as in the US. Laziness will kill them though. You need to give them special attention.

Also, I found building one of these very helpful - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copperband-butterfly-feeding-device.234171/

I started by opening a clam and attaching it with the clam meat on top of the feeder with a rubber band. Then I put the meat inside the feeder with shell still on top. Eventually I just put the meat inside the feeder without signalling with the clam shell on top. From there I started adding other foods.

I just find they are too ponderous to compete for free floating food and the feeder gives them priority. They can just stare at a piece of food and return to it over and over without eating it. I now have mine eating just about everything from my hand. It seems to hate pellets though. My longnose butterfly doesn't eat them either so it might be to do with the way their mouths are structured.

Last edited:

hawkeye792001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you know if they came from Australia or Indonesia?

I'm going to pull the trigger on one eventually.

My reeftank is 8 months old. I still feel like I'm learning a few new things, and adjusting things. I figure I'll hold off till I have a solid routine and everything is working out perfectly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive never had a problem getting a CB to eat. they are in nature finicky and can be challenging to the most experienced hobbyist. It is trial and error in essence to get them to feed but overall they do and will come around.
Live foods, Nori and aptasia are the best enticers but not limited to such

Fourthwind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience was very similar. Watched the local stores till I found a clean and eating CBB. He wasn't aggressive at it, but took a few mysis. Put him a well cycled and very clean qt. No meds. Got him eating various frozen foods. I use a Innovative Marine frozen feeder. Works great for him! Fish will sit and hover under the feeder as food comes out. Makes it so in even an agressive feeding tank he can get his fill. Can't get a pic to load from my phone. Will try later.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you know if they came from Australia or Indonesia?

I'm going to pull the trigger on one eventually.

My reeftank is 8 months old. I still feel like I'm learning a few new things, and adjusting things. I figure I'll hold off till I have a solid routine and everything is working out perfectly.
The "standard" copperband is the one with 4 vertical stripes. The Aussie, which is actually C. Marginalis has but 2. This pic is of C. Marginalis

ChelmonMarginalRobertFenner.jpg

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "standard" copperband is the one with 4 vertical stripes. The Aussie, which is actually C. Marginalis has but 2. This pic is of C. Marginalis

I have the Chelmon Rostratus which is Australian caught. Both species come from Australian waters but from memory the Marginalis tends to come from Western Australia and I don't see that many come to the east coast..

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also say they are fantastic fish. Sort of have the demeanour of a curious but shy child. They are elegant and intelligent. Probably the fish my family love most.

db75Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CB - more than one year with me; I picked the smallest one from shop (actually the smallest one ever saw on sale) and was the only fish in tank for weeks. Feed him frozen brine and mysis. At beginning will take a lot of time for them to eat, as they look closely to each piece of meat; If a shrimp is not complete, will not eat it; But after couple of months start eating with "eating frenzy" and even push away a smaller tang;

Now takes pieces of clams directly from my hand and even bytes me a bit :) - is rather fun; On the other hand, doesnt even look at "chemical food" and eats only frozen;

I think the main issue with them is that are very shy, but if they have the chance to be the dominant fish in a tank they are doing well

ScreenShot.jpg

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya in the 70’s sure but in the last 15 years they are no harder than any other pickier fish in the hobby not too mention there’s been many many “write ups” that are far more detailed on how to successfully keep one. This write just gives a very generic overview.

Really man, if you don’t care for his write up, move on. I found it very informative and the guy is only trying to help people like myself whom have never kept a CB and would love to try. If there are other write ups out there, I’ll read them too...it doesn’t hurt me.

db75Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I just got two days ago that’s not eating. Def going to try some of this stuff tomorrow!

By far the favorite food of a CB - eats them until have issue breathing :) . And all fishes in the tank will devour them if chopped; Very expensive thou (over 10 USD for such a small box) but worth.
I dont know how they are called in USA, but on label have the latin name too (Spicula Solida) - also dont know if available everywhere, but here in Belgium are easy to find -

Ah, they are from human food shops, not from aquarium shops

IMG_1364.JPG

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct, this is their favorite food. When they are young you can feed them black or white worms but they get about 8" long and worms are not enough but they will always eat them. I feed them and all my fish clams which are very cheap here on the east coast of the US. These large ones, about 4" across are about fifty cents each and one clam will last me a week. (I also feed other things)
I buy them live and freeze them.

I also eat them myself and like copperbands, they are one of my favorite foods. :D Clam Chowder in the works.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband will eat clams until he can't fit any more in him (as I will)
Here is a video of him last year eating clams. IMO, clams are the best food for a reef and if you have clams, you really don't have to feed anything else. All fish will eat clams including pipefish, mandarins, queen anthius and everything else. The beauty of clams is that they are filter feeders and full of nutrients and minerals including calcium which most captive fish are lacking in their diet because in the sea fish normally eat smaller fish, bones and all. But in a tank we don't feed foods with bones because we can't get tiny fish to feed. Clams solve that problem and the tiny pieces and juices will feed your corals which I never feed by other means. In most places you can also get frozen clams but I like the fresh, live ones because of the bacteria in their guts.

Last edited:

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you know if they came from Australia or Indonesia?..........................

Most higher-end online vendors will allow region specific purchases now. Also, I have several close friends who own LFS' and one ordered mine. It was a wait but came with the certificate of the region with it beside the stripes...C. Marginalis (CBB) which is from Austria will have two distinguished stripes.

Several sites will allow the region selection now compared with the no choice a couple of years back. One will pay more, but to me, it was worth it.

Thanks for asking such a good question and I hope my post helped.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back