How to best treat a salt splash to mitigate corrosion.

rocket

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background: I have a wrought iron stand that I had a welding buddy spray and reinforce that I use to hold my 55 up top and two 20s below as sump. While there are minimal instances of rust and all seems well I imagine the stand won't be super long term as even small amounts of corrosion worry me with so much weight being held up.

My question would be: In instances where I splash salt water onto a corrosive surface what are the best steps to mitigate future corrosion of the exposed surface.

I usually put a fan on the surface to remove the moisture as fast as possible but for all I know that could be speeding up the corrosive process.

I have had thoughts about running fresh water over the area exposed with reef water but I wasn't sure if that might be a worse idea then leaving untreated.

I imagine there isn't a perfect answer, but was wondering what might be the best option of:
A. Wipe away and leave it.
B. Blow away with fan.
C. Rise with fresh water and wipe away.
D. Rise with ______

I have tried to research this online but most results seem to be related to long term prevention no as much quick remedies.

Dytrix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its simply dilute the salt, so washing etc.. your best chance is to do the long term prevention. it wont rust/corrode overnight and will take time so cleaning it off properly will slow it down.. paint the frame.. its kind as simple as that really

by blowing a fan on it all your doing is drying the saltwater which wil still leave the salt on the frame

Upvote 0

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since i converted to NSW ...salt creep is minimal compared to ASW...don't know if that's a trend or what...

Upvote 0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant see which part of stand you got problem with ( maybe it all)
But could try wrap it with insulation made for plumbing pipes.even if just used half of it ( so seki circle) and can get some with adhesive on the inside.and maybe it creates a barrier but i guess to do properley would of been best to do something like this before tank got put on top.
But im guessing your steel frame is a sturdy strong/ large so even if rusts you would get quite some years of usage out of it.even if rusted.but never had steel frame with saltwater tank.i had 500 litre cichlid tank but that was freshwater and the underneath was right rusty and after maybe 8 years use i striped system down and stand rusty all over but still had its strengrh/ integrity

Upvote 0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just something simple as this im thinking and cut it in half and stick it on or around all the metal parts of the stand.you could get some colured masking/ duct tape to stick over tje lagging to keep lagging in place but to also tidy it up and bring bit of colour underneath stand and hopefully salt creep goes on tape/ lagging more than the stand

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-104708_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-104708_Chrome.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back