How to brace crawl space?

FragOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 525 will be here next week and I’m trying to prepare for it. I know the weight of this tank will be around 1200 pounds. Should I use bottle jacks under the floor? Will 4 be enough or overkill? Just curious if anyone has done this to their crawl space.

OP
OP
FragOut

FragOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put 4x4 or a 4x6 across the floor joists and jack that. But I'm not an engineer. Last floor I reinforced I overdid it a bit and got a big hump in the floor.

I will try to avoid that. With the 2 kids running around my 90g liked to wobble just a little bit. Always made me really nervous. I want to try and avoid that and reinforce the floor. What type of jack did you use??

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to avoid that. With the 2 kids running around my 90g liked to wobble just a little bit. Always made me really nervous. I want to try and avoid that and reinforce the floor. What type of jack did you use??
I actually made a couple t shaped beams and sledgehammered them in place, but I was working in a full basement. It actually held my 185 just fine, but I just measured the posts a bit long.

OP
OP
FragOut

FragOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I’m gonna work on getting something tonight. I’ll post what I come up with. I’m thinking of using 2 bottle jacks with 2 2x4s in a t shape holding it up.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would use concrete pure blocks as a base and something way more substantial than 2x4's.
Plus anywhere a bottle jack is supporting wood, there would have to be a metal plate so the narrow top of the bottle jack doesn't just bury itself into the wood.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without any details on your floor, it's impossible to offer any useful advice. Frankly, 1,200 pounds isn't all that much for most properly constructed joist floors. If your goal is to just stiffen the floor a bit, a couple of Jack posts will certainly suffice. They typically come with both header and footer metal plates.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 525 will be here next week and I’m trying to prepare for it. I know the weight of this tank will be around 1200 pounds. Should I use bottle jacks under the floor? Will 4 be enough or overkill? Just curious if anyone has done this to their crawl space.
by 525 do you mean 525 gallons? If so that is going to be way more than 1200 lbs. I my 120 plus filters and rock is about 1200 lbs. For my 300 gallon I used 2 4x4 perpendicular to the joints one 6 inches from the wall and one 3ft6inch from the wall and put post jacks from the hardware store at the ends of each and one in the middle of each for 6 total. Floor didn't even go down 1/4 inch when I filled the tank.

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing to do would be to have a structural engineer take a look. I'm working on my new build (180G Reef Savvy, Custom Cabinet, etc) which will have a weight of approximately 2,500 pounds. My home is typical wood frame construction and it's not designed to handle a load like that. Would it be safe without any extra reinforcements? Maybe . . . but I'm not going to take that chance. It's very possible that my floor (or your floor) would support the weight with minimal deflection initially. But over time (we expect our tanks to last many years), that deflection will increase and may create enough stress on our tanks to cause seam failure or glass cracking.

The engineer that designed my reinforcements specified that the new support columns have footings poured. We'll be cutting the existing basement floor to do this. It's necessary because the average basement floor can't take a point load of more than a few hundred pounds. If you installed proper reinforcements, but supported them with only the existing basement floor, you risk having that floor crack / shift. Certainly enough disturbance to cause a tank failure.

I'm sure my plan sounds pretty extreme to some, but I really don't want to turn our house into a saltwater swimming pool and lose my dream tank with all of its inhabitants.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
by 525 do you mean 525 gallons? If so that is going to be way more than 1200 lbs. .

That's what I thought at first.
Then after re-reading the first post, I'm thinking maybe a Red Sea Reefer 525 ?

tank o tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's start by asking if the floor in your crawl space is dirt or concrete. If dirt or really thin concrete your bottle jacks may just sink without prepping for them.

OP
OP
FragOut

FragOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crawl space is concrete. But now I’m questioning whether it’s needed now or not. The home was built in 2016. Seems sturdy under there I just wanted the extra support. And yes I mean the reefer 525. My apologies for that.

OP
OP
FragOut

FragOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing to do would be to have a structural engineer take a look. I'm working on my new build (180G Reef Savvy, Custom Cabinet, etc) which will have a weight of approximately 2,500 pounds. My home is typical wood frame construction and it's not designed to handle a load like that. Would it be safe without any extra reinforcements? Maybe . . . but I'm not going to take that chance. It's very possible that my floor (or your floor) would support the weight with minimal deflection initially. But over time (we expect our tanks to last many years), that deflection will increase and may create enough stress on our tanks to cause seam failure or glass cracking.

The engineer that designed my reinforcements specified that the new support columns have footings poured. We'll be cutting the existing basement floor to do this. It's necessary because the average basement floor can't take a point load of more than a few hundred pounds. If you installed proper reinforcements, but supported them with only the existing basement floor, you risk having that floor crack / shift. Certainly enough disturbance to cause a tank failure.

I'm sure my plan sounds pretty extreme to some, but I really don't want to turn our house into a saltwater swimming pool and lose my dream tank with all of its inhabitants.

Not extreme at all and much to your views this is my dream tank as well. My children are by far the biggest concern. My little man likes to run. While I obviously keep this to a minimum I want to minimize any type of movement of the tank. And yes it’s a Red Sea 525.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deleted

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crawl space is concrete. But now I’m questioning whether it’s needed now or not.

OCD is an occupational hazard in this hobby :D, so reinforce away if it makes you feel better. But for a 110 gallon tank, it's completely unecessary. I'll bet there's thousands of R2R'ers with comparably sized tanks sitting just fine on a standard joist floor. Now, if you were talking 220 or up, some supports would be a good idea.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to add a brace (and I would, just because, well, cheap insurance) a brace made of 2x material (I'd use 2x6's) with a piece of 3/4" plywood of equal length/width sandwiched between, glued and screwed will be pretty much impervious to flex. 2x lumber by itself is more prone to warping/twisting as it dries.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ge a jack post like this
716733128415.jpg

Top it with a 4x4 piece of wood across the affected floor joists

Problem solved. It will take all of the weight.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back