How to Break Through a Stalled Aquarium Cycle: Nitrite Woes & Solutions

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm seeking advice about my new aquarium, which has been cycling for precisely 4 weeks now. Initially, I began by dosing ammonia for the first 2 weeks. However, due to running out of ammonia drops, I introduced a pair of clownfish to provide a food source for the beneficial bacteria.

Over the past 4 days, my ammonia levels have gradually decreased and now measure around 0.25-0.5 PPM. However, my nitrite levels have consistently remained high, ranging between 2.0-2.5 PPM. In an attempt to address this issue, I've been adding Microbacter 7 daily in small increments, but I haven't observed any reduction in nitrite levels.

I'm at a point where it feels like my cycling process has stalled. Should I exercise patience and wait for the nitrite levels to naturally decrease, or would it be advisable to perform a 25% water change? I'm open to any guidance and appreciate your assistance in reading this rather lengthy message.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm seeking advice about my new aquarium, which has been cycling for precisely 4 weeks now. Initially, I began by dosing ammonia for the first 2 weeks. However, due to running out of ammonia drops, I introduced a pair of clownfish to provide a food source for the beneficial bacteria.

Over the past 4 days, my ammonia levels have gradually decreased and now measure around 0.25-0.5 PPM. However, my nitrite levels have consistently remained high, ranging between 2.0-2.5 PPM. In an attempt to address this issue, I've been adding Microbacter 7 daily in small increments, but I haven't observed any reduction in nitrite levels.

I'm at a point where it feels like my cycling process has stalled. Should I exercise patience and wait for the nitrite levels to naturally decrease, or would it be advisable to perform a 25% water change? I'm open to any guidance and appreciate your assistance in reading this rather lengthy message.
If your ammonia is above 0.25 then definitely do a large water change. NitrITE is irrelevant in a saltwater aquarium. What is your nitRATE level?

OP
OP
LiLinka

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite I am using an API test kit. Nitrate is at a steady increase daily currently testing at 7 PPM via Hanna checker.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the thought that once nitrite and ammonia hit 0 the tank is cycled.
Not exactly. Once the system can convert ammonia to nitrate in a short period of time, then it has enough biological filter to handle 1 or 2 fish. Never add fish to a tank that still has ammonia. The API ammonia test measures total ammonia (free ammonia plus ammonium). Free ammonia is toxic to fish and inverts and ammonium is not. So, once you are seeing some nitrates (and you've stopped dosing ammonia!) when the API ammo test result is between 0 and 0.25, you can consider that to mean 0 toxic ammonia.

So basically it sounds like you added ammonia for too long, but once it decreases to 0 (up to 0.25 API), as long as you're showing some nitrates, you can add fish.

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the thought that once nitrite and ammonia hit 0 the tank is cycled.

Ammonia is the concern not nitrite. If ammonia is low, you are good. Many folks transition unwittingly from a fishless cycle to a fish In cycle, without concern.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 types of bacteria involved in converting ammonia to nitrate - the first converts ammo to nitrite and the second converts nitrite to nitrate. You need the system to have a good population of both types. Once you have nitrates, you know you have both types. Since nitrite is harmless to SW inhabitants (in the amounts we're talking about), you just need ammonia to be absent and nitrate to be present.

OP
OP
LiLinka

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help. So should I just be patient at this time. I’m not comfortable to add any other fish at this moment. Or should I perform a water change. I watched a video saying perform a 25-50% change after cycled.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help. So should I just be patient at this time. I’m not comfortable to add any other fish at this moment. Or should I perform a water change. I watched a video saying perform a 25-50% change after cycled.
I don't know that you are cycled. What is your nitrate level?
The reason to to a water change after a tank is cycled is if the nitrate level is sky high...

OP
OP
LiLinka

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 PPM nitRATE, only reason I’m considering the WC is because of the .25 ammonia. Which is tested via salifert, nitRITE was tested via API.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 PPM nitRATE, only reason I’m considering the WC is because of the .25 ammonia. Which is tested via salifert, nitRITE was tested via API.
Look up the Salifert test and see if it measures free ammonia (bad) or total ammonia. How long have the fish been in the tank? There's certainly no harm in doing a water change now.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no need to waterchange unless you’ve added a silly amount of ammonia. Instead, I would spend all free time googling everything from “Randy Holmes Farley”. Then read it again (you will have missed something)
that’s nowt when converted to the harmful free ammonia if the level is reducing. Discard.

OP
OP
LiLinka

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up the Salifert test and see if it measures free ammonia (bad) or total ammonia. How long have the fish been in the tank? There's certainly no harm in doing a water change now.
2 clownfish have been in tank for 2 weeks. Salifert ammonia test kit is total ammonia.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks to everyone who has replied and helped with the situation. I will update as needed. Have a great rest of your nights!
Will do, happy reefin’

Attachments

• D00F19F4-0F82-4235-BCC0-2559E29EE5E9.jpeg
    D00F19F4-0F82-4235-BCC0-2559E29EE5E9.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 20

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back