How to build a reef safe 3D background?

kuzzyphuzzy

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 8, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
aurora
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I am currently interested in putting together a 31 gallon AIO reef tank and building a custom background for it. The idea I have in mind is to almost make the tank look like it’s up against a drop off or slope on a coral reef. I have tons of fragments of live rock that I’m interested in molding together to form rock wall.

I was able to get my hands on some of that Marco reef cement you can buy at the LFS, but I don’t know if it is going to hold up well as a mortar. I actually made a near complete background already out of great stuff(pond annd stone) and sillicone. But I have since learned that even though it’s made for water, it will begin to fall apart if underwater for too long.

Any suggestion for a reef safe mortar to help form this background? I’ve seen some people use sand grouts and other materials. But I have yet to find anything that really says that any kind of mortar from a hardware store is going to be safe…

At the bottom here is my “rough draft” version that used the great stuff. Since I can no longer really use it. I plan on going back and getting as of the coral as I can to try again

IMG_1045.jpeg
 
the marco mortar is great as long as you don't make it too thin. I recently made these with marco mortar
 

Attachments

  • 20250116_100615.jpg
    20250116_100615.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 65

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new