OP
OP
kevantheman35

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am about to build a stand for a 34 Cube for a tank for my wife. I ordered the Kreg tonight :) Nice job on the stand.
Reefinny Here is a cabinet I built for your exact aquarium. This one I built in red oak in a similar fashion to the stand in my instructions with a few differences. I used marble tiles for the top which looked very nice and only cost about $4 a piece. I also used neodymium magnets to hold the two sides on so that they could be easily removed to reach the sump. I never ended up putting a sump on the tank but they were still handy. Hope this might give you a little more inspiration for your build. Good luck!

OP
OP
kevantheman35

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! Thanks for the write up and details! 

very nice. Good job. I like it

Great build and instructions.

Nice job!

Nice looking stand, but better yet is the detailed documentation. Nicely done!

Awesome job! Have you built one like this before? I enclosed my sump area on all sides like yours and eventually had to come back and drill holes in the back. I had major condensation and mold problems with it being enclosed.
I have built them like this in the past but never had a sump down there for any length of time. My plan for this stand was to possible install a small computer fan in the back panel of the cabinet. After reading your comment I definitely will thanks!
Thank you! I have been trying to build my own stand, with this thread I think I can built one( well hopefully).

Great job and spot on. The kreg jig is the only way to go! People get frustrated when it comes time to do the doors, We did. But mine are stained and not done ha.
When it was time to build the frame we used 36 inch clamps to hold the frames together and used a couple of squares to get them squared them up before screwing together. My other half knows way more about that than I do.

Great write up! Kreg is the best way for secure corners.

Wow great work and detail! Thanks for sharing it with us!

WOW! Great looking stand. And great job of documenting the steps and details of building it.

Really nice stand!

Wow great job all around very impressive detail. This should definetly be a foundation thread to many who need to build a stand

Great craftsmanship on the stand! It really turned out nice. Great write up as well, very informative. Thanks for taking the time to show this. I think if people see that with time and patience a very nice DIY stand is a very possible project.

Great write up!
Sticky worthy? I think so!

Thank you all for the compliments, it means a lot!

Last edited:

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefinny Here is a cabinet I built for your exact aquarium. This one I built in red oak in a similar fashion to the stand in my instructions with a few differences. I used marble tiles for the top which looked very nice and only cost about $4 a piece. I also used neodymium magnets to hold the two sides on so that they could be easily removed to reach the sump. I never ended up putting a sump on the tank but they were still handy. Hope this might give you a little more inspiration for your build. Good luck!

Funny you say that I have red oak I was going to skin it with. I like the magnets but I am going to do the doors on 2 sides like your other stand, also I am going to build it slightly oversized so It can handle a 60 rimless also. Thanks though you do very nice work.

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great job on this stand, definitely one of the nicest ones on R2R. :hail: I'm going to incorporate some of your ideas for a build i'm about to start. Especially the epoxy paint for the sump area.

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think it'd be safe to do a 4ft tank (48x24x27) on a stand with no center brace in the front? maybe use 2x6 instead?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kevantheman35

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think it'd be safe to do a 4ft tank (48x24x27) on a stand with no center brace in the front? maybe use 2x6 instead?
I'm no engineer but I would probably feel pretty comfortable with 2x6s. Ofcourse having the extra bracing would be a safer bet.

JDNels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom Stand

Test[ing]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff395/JDNels/image.jpg2.jpg[/ing]

JDNels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test[ing]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff395/JDNels/image.jpg2.jpg[/ing]
image.jpg2.jpg

JDNels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. A little warm up.
Thanks for the post followed almost to the letter.
Frame Done.
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff395/JDNels/Mobile%20Uploads/0403151827.jpg[/img}
Skin Done.
[img]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff395/JDNels/Mobile%20Uploads/0423151135.jpg
Leak Test.
0509151201.jpg

Again Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
kevantheman35

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great goodluck! Let me know if you have any questions and make sure to share some photos

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great goodluck! Let me know if you have any questions and make sure to share some photos
In the morning I will share my sketchup files I've been working on. Just gotta figure out how I want to do the doors since I do not have a router or any amount of creativity when it comes to that lol

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here is what I've got. The right model is the 2x4 frame (I really like the idea of trimming them to be square!) and 1/2" plywood top and bottom, the middle is with 1x4 poplar skin, and the left is the 'final' with 1/4" plywood doors framed with 1x2 poplar, knobs, and crown molding. And the tank on top :)

25g%252520stand%252520frame%252520all%252520final.png

OP
OP
kevantheman35

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here is what I've got. The right model is the 2x4 frame (I really like the idea of trimming them to be square!) and 1/2" plywood top and bottom, the middle is with 1x4 poplar skin, and the left is the 'final' with 1/4" plywood doors framed with 1x2 poplar, knobs, and crown molding. And the tank on top :)

25g%252520stand%252520frame%252520all%252520final.png
Looks great jedi! I really recommend that appliance epoxy paint on the inside. It has held up well over the last year.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back