how to calibrate hanna salinity tester

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What model of milwaukee are you using anything other than rodi water to calibrate?. I dont know of one that uses a standard 35 solution(or anything other than 0)?
With the digital refrac, I use rodi water to set zero, and then check with Dr Randy NaCl to check sanity. It always reads 1.026

With the Hanna salinity checker I calibrate to 35psu using Dr Randys solution.

For my GHL probes, I calibrate against measured values from the Hanna probe.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume people know when you buy 3 cal fluids for a refractometer you just calibrate it to the middle of all 3. So for like 22 bucks in cal fluids you can be very confident that salinity won't be a big issue. I have used 4 diff kinds over the years and when brand spanking new they are very very close to each other. I tend to buy them all at once every two years or so. My refractometer, I guess I am lucky, does not wander and I rarely if ever use that small screw driver to adjust it.

Anyway.. whatever floats your boat. It is a hobby after all.

kingranch2003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the deal: there’s no perfect solution.

The Milwaukee is VERY easy to use and has a digital readout. I personally recommend this but it’s slightly expensive at $100.

Tropic Marin has a floating hydrometer which is one of the most accurate salinity measurers we have as hobbiest. It’s cheap at $30 but the problem with it is that it’s very complicated to use. The water must be 77F to get the measurements to be correct. You need a very tall beaker to fill with saltwater to float. If your temp isn’t 77F there is a chart to make the proper conversions.

Refractometers are much easier and cheaper to use than the tropic Marin. Less accurate though.

I wouldn’t use a standard hydrometer personally.

If it’s my opinion: buy the Milwaukee and never regret. Or you can buy a different salinity tester and then later upgrade when you get sick of their flaws.

Not everyone will need a Milwaukee, but it certainly made my life easier and even though I just got it 2 days ago I am their biggest fan. This unit is seriously awesome.
3 Yeats later now. Do you still like it? I was thinking of getting one

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 Yeats later now. Do you still like it? I was thinking of getting one
I love it. I think it’s a great refractometer. I also have a tropic Marin hydrometer which I really like for super accurate readings. I use both. Lately I’ve been using the Milwaukee refractometer for quick readings.

I have the same unit as the original post.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 51 49.5%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back