How to catch Usain Bolt aka my clownfish?

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[EDIT: Caught!] Oh. My. God. I have never had a problem catching clowns ... buuut ... today I needed to net out two clowns who have intestinal worms so I can treat them separately (food soaking never worked). Got one, but this other little booger is FAST and tireless. Chased him around the tank and rock work for almost an hour then gave up, but not before considering just knocking my whole tank over and watching him flail around on the floor.

I've used traps in the past to good success, but clowns aren't typically inquisitive enough to go in them. What are your favorite/most successful ways to catch clowns? At night? Dynamite?

Last edited:

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nights a good idea as well as a bigger net if you’re using a small net. I had a large net, probably 7x5 inches or something close to that which I caught my fast clownfish easy.

OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nights a good idea as well as a bigger net if you’re using a small net. I had a large net, probably 7x5 inches or something close to that which I caught my fast clownfish easy.

Do at night.
I was prepping to stay up when moonlight goes off at midnight and then had an idea ... had a sheet of acrylic, so I leaned it in the corner against front and side glass to make a triangle, with one of the sides open a bit so critters could swim in and out of the compartment, then left it alone. Came back 10 mins later and the clown was swimming inside of it. Closed the gap so the clown couldn't swim out and then netted it right out :p NOTE. TO. SELF ;Oldman

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back