How to clean a sump?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chris124
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chris124

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
402
Reaction score
75
Location
nc
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup a 75 gallon tank with a sump. Can anyone tell me how to clean it and how often? The sump sits on the floor so I cant siphon.
 
Filter sock will prevent some of it in the future. A siphon should still work to some extent. You could take a small diameter hose and glue to the end of a baby nose sucker. I used this to target feed my corals in a deep tank I had. Although the hose was a hard plastic and it was more of a rod. It worked great to siphon little bits of detritus.
 
Matter of fact I think I will clean mine today! :D
 
You can use a canister filter, with extended lines, kinda like using a shop vac, but this way you dont have to throw out the water, you just run it back into the sump.
 
I use a shop vac no more than a couple times a year to vacuum out the detritus that has settled in the sump. For spot cleaning a Maxijet 1200 powerhead with a hose slipped over the discharge nozzle into a bucket makes a good vacuum as long as the debris is not too large.
 
I use a shop vac no more than a couple times a year to vacuum out the detritus that has settled in the sump. For spot cleaning a Maxijet 1200 powerhead with a hose slipped over the discharge nozzle into a bucket makes a good vacuum as long as the debris is not too large.
+1.
oh yeah...I forgot to mention that, a small mj pump and some tubing makes for an impromptu vacuum.
 
Very interesting! Never thought of using a canister filter. hmm using this idea. Can u take the rock out of the sump to clean under them and can u clean the rock off? I was always told not to disturb the rocks in the sump.
 
If you have a canister filter that is great but don't spend money on one. It's a pain priming them and cleaning them. I know this from first hand experience trying to use it as a means of getting every last bit of detritus out. Also the suction is weak. Get a power head and put hoses on the input to pick stuff up then put a filter sock in your tank with the drain
 
Last edited:
Iuse a cheap power head I got at home depo garden center or my dimatop when I do a crazy water change and cleaning .
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new