How to clean/disinfect 5-gallon bucket

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice (not sure if this is posted in the right place). I recently received a 5-gallon bucket with two clownfish. The clowns are great. How should I clean and disinfect the bucket? It is a nice measure right, food grade bucket with a graduated scale on the side. Perfect for mixing salt. I want to use it but I’m afraid it could contaminate my salt mix/tank. Any suggestions?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I volunteer at a large public aquarium (bet you can guess which one) and we disinfect buckets, glassware, etc. with bleach which is then neutralized with sodium thiosulfate. Alcohol is also used to clean plastic mixing tanks, etc. Assume you are interested in general preventative maintence.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I volunteer at a large public aquarium (bet you can guess which one) and we disinfect buckets, glassware, etc. with bleach which is then neutralized with sodium thiosulfate. Alcohol is also used to clean plastic mixing tanks, etc. Assume you are interested in general preventative maintence.
So how badly have i been totally blowing it if i only have been rinsing with RO after mixing salt in my buckets?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how badly have i been totally blowing it if i only have been rinsing with RO after mixing salt in my buckets?
If you don't have reason to believe that you have active harmful bacteria, etc. living in the bucket, I wouldn't worry about it Put your bucket in the sun and let it dry out after you rinse/wipe down with bleach.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you've only been mixing salt, a rinse is all you need.

OP has a bucket that was used by someone else and may have been used for treated water, etc. IMO, I'd not take the chance. If the bucket was used to carry copper or other medications and it's just not worth the risk.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've only been mixing salt, a rinse is all you need.

OP has a bucket that was used by someone else and may have been used for treated water, etc. IMO, I'd not take the chance. If the bucket was used to carry copper or other medications and it's just not worth the risk.

I was about to use vinegar because I have it, but I’m gonna take this advice and scrap the bucket. I rinse my personal salt mixing bucket with tap water and I dry it out and have never had a problem. This bucket, I’m not taking chance. Thank you all for the advice. Being a teacher, I love free stuff but I don’t need to mess up our tank for a $5 bucket.

Last edited:

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm clearly going to bucket purgatory.

Most of the time I don't even rinse mine, just flip them upside down on a towel for a while, wipe them down with a rag, air dry then stack them in the corner.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Vinegar is the ticket. Makes the house smell like pickles

Back