How to clean Spirobid worms from the plumbing?

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With some downtime I've been cleaning equipment. In my sump I had a bad concentration of Spirobid worms. I'm soaking several ball valves in vinegar to kill them for easier removal. There appear to be some in the plumbing. Taking the plumbing apart is not my preference. Since this specific plumbing is part of my manifold, which is separate from any other plumbing, flooding the pipe with a vinegar, or citric acid, solution, then rinsing is an option. Close all ball valves, remove the pump from the sump and pump the cleaning solution. Then pump saltwater or ro/di water through opening the ball valves individually to remove all the vinegar/citric acid solution. Any other ideas for removing them?

20200317_130157.jpg

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you might have some vermetid snails as well?

If it were my setup, I'd definitely use the vinegar. Heat the vinegar up in the microwave to make it more effective....doesn't have to be boiling hot, but the increased temperatures reduces the soak time considerably.

That looks like gray CPVC piping, so it should be good to around 185°F.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 58 43.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 63 46.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back