How to color up a Yuma???

MrPicasso

Chalice Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Yuma rock today with 3 large yumas and 2 babies from the LFS. Their tank lighting is terrible; t8's with no actinic, and corals sit right on top of each other. In this case there was a coco worm leaning on the middle of the largest yuma. I asked if he could move it so it would stop disrupting the Yuma and give me a better look, so he moved the coco one inch over, on top of another yuma on the rock. I almost lost it. His only reply was... I don't want to disrupt the coco worm cause its cool. Anyway... The underside of them is green, and the mouth is green also. On the top it has hints of purples and pinks with some green also, but it looks washed out. I know these little guys have potential to be great but not sure how I can go about coloring them up. They look like healthy specimans, just lost some color. Any Ideas of special care instructions. I will post some pics soon. Thanks

OP
OP
MrPicasso

MrPicasso

Chalice Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0314092008.jpg

0314092009.jpg

0314092009a.jpg

0314092009b.jpg

OP
OP
MrPicasso

MrPicasso

Chalice Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors are strange, almost rainbow looking. Each yuma seems to have its own coloration pattern going on also. I am in a 75 gallon, with 4x54watt t5's over the tank. Should I start them in sand in direct light or gradually try to move them higher in the tank? How high up should I go? Also,will special feedings help them color up, or just tank feeding should be fine? Thanks for the help.

mnherper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep them low and slowly move them up most yumas don't like a lot of light so be careful.good luck they look like they have great potential.

OP
OP
MrPicasso

MrPicasso

Chalice Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will do that. I fed the tank coral frenzy tonight and they were gobbling that stuff up. I am extremely happy with them already, but if they color up some then I think it will be a nice bonus.

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may be duller then they are right now actually. Figure a place that keeps there stock under lighting like that probably didn't spend very much on nicely colored yumas.
Yumas will usually hold their best colors under low light anyway but as suggested, if you need to have them sitting right under your lighting, move them slowly and maybe they will keep some of the colors. Some yumas though are probably best left under low lighting to retain their color.

OP
OP
MrPicasso

MrPicasso

Chalice Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time will tell for sure, if they do start to change I will update there progress here. Thanks everyone for the replies.

OP
OP
MrPicasso

MrPicasso

Chalice Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They order all there coral in bulk, Grab bag style. Corals are not individually priced, they are all $40. Sometimes they will have 6 inch colonies of zoos, brains, leathers, but just about every shipment they get will have a few more exotic corals, 3-4 inch SPS colonies, encrusting montis, large frogspawns, acans, blastos, Yumas. Best deal in town.

Back