How to connect IceCap Battery Back to Hydros Wave Engine?

I have the Hydros to icecap battery backup cables in.

I don’t have a gen 3 battery but I do have a couple of gen 1’s, one of which has a bad battery. I think I read gen 1’s are also 12v.

So rather buying a gen3 and rather than replace the small battery in the gen 1 unit, I wanted to go with a larger external battery and use the existing circuit board.

This is the internal circuit board in the gen 1 battery
CDEDBCBF-41DD-431F-BFC8-672530152433.jpeg

And here is the wave engine diagram
17B81591-46A6-4389-A6EB-6634E75C699F.png


It looks to me like there is a diode on the circuit board that prevents current flow from batt/pump output (24v) to the battery/battery charger side (12v).

But allows it to flow from battery to pump output.

Ie 12v can flow to wave engine if 24v is missing but 24v power can’t flow to battery or battery charger.

Hoping someone with electrical smarticles can verify this for me.
 
It looks to me like there is a diode on the circuit board that prevents current flow from batt/pump output (24v) to the battery/battery charger side (12v).

But allows it to flow from battery to pump output.

Ie 12v can flow to wave engine if 24v is missing but 24v power can’t flow to battery or battery charger.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but Steve, looks like you were doing exactly what I'm interested in attempting. Great find regarding the relay and shoving 12v battery in the WaveEngine DC input. Did you ever attempt to DIY this interface?
 
Im going to try and bring this thread back, I think with some simple wiring 2 12v car batteries and some diodes and a 24 or 2 12v bank battery charger could make a great battery backup!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new