How To: Convert 32mm PVC pipe to 1" pipe. Red Sea plumbing used as an example.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question that comes up allot is "How do I convert my metric plumbing to US spec?". Red Sea owners are always asking this.

Here I will explain what Red Sea owners need to do to get a clean finish and conversion. Also the adapter I use can be used on any 32mm plumbing to convert it to 1" plumbing.

First thing many US Red Sea owners want to do is modify plumbing to suit their needs. There are several different ways this can be done. This is the method I figured out and it's very inexpensive to do.

If a owner wants to switch their Red Sea system over from where the bulkhead exits the tank you need to get yourself Red Sea Part 42221. The websites that list this part will say it's meant for different size tanks and models. Disregard what the description is telling you, you’re using this part to modify your system.
This part comes with a nipple on it.

Remove the nipple. It simply unscrews. It might take a little effort.

This part can be used in 2 different ways.

1. You can screw in a ¾” PVC adapter direct and plumb from that.

2. You can use a 32mm slip to 1” PVC pipe adapter.

The adapter can be glued direct to the outside of part 42221 with ABS to PVC glue. Or the adapter can fit direct over the stock 32mm pipe plumbing on the Red Sea or other brand tank.
I used the above method to convert the return pipe plumbing from 25mm to 32mm/1" It restricts the flow less than the stock plumbing.

Here’s a comparison of the 32mm/1” vs 3/4” threaded setup. You can see how the 32mm/1” version has much better flow.

32mm/1”

3/4” threaded

The Red Sea 42221 parts can be sourced direct from Red Sea. I find their shipping to be very high. I instead ordered from Marine and Reef and saved $10 in shipping.

The 32mm slip to 1" PVC pipe adapter was found at FLEXPVC.

This is the ABS to PVC adhesive I used. I got it from Lowes but most Big Box stores will have it.

This is my part with the adapter installed and I can add any 1" coupler, elbow or 45 degree bend to it I want. This will adapt to my flow sensor and to my Pump.

The finished project. The mod is the far left pipe. RedSea’s stock plumbing is the center and far right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would the need for this be? I have a Red Sea Reefer.
“Need”, no need.. it’s only if a person wants to convert their metric plumbing to US spec. It’s really only needed if a person wants to modify their plumbing. Many folks have added things like the Clarisea roller filter. It requires converting plumbing to US spec.

Here is an example of someone that modified their plumbing on a RedSea Reefer.

Last edited:

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’ll be setting up a REEFER soon and have considered this too

Besides the less restrictive flow (right?) and the roller filter option mentioned, can you list some more reasons/benefits for doing this?

Are there any downsides besides extra costs and time?

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the benefit is ease of use in America. Easy to plumb in things when you can go to the local hardware store and just buy the parts.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’ll be setting up a REEFER soon and have considered this too

Besides the less restrictive flow (right?) and the roller filter option mentioned, can you list some more reasons/benefits for doing this?

Are there any downsides besides extra costs and time?
Other reasons to do this... well the sky is the limit, you can hard plumb everything, add a UV sterilizer, flow sensors, reactors.. anything that you use tank water for can be ported thru and plumbed into your system. It’s up to you and your creativity.

The only downside, you only use a small amount of the ABS to PVC glue so there is allot of unused glue left over. Also you might need a bigger pump to handle all the goodies you plumb in.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. In case I have to upgrade my plumbing I will definitely do this. I just used unions with 3/4" to 25mm. But that restricts flow. I think the flow Red Sea calls for on my P650 is questionable in theirs and my current plumbing.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my 32mm slip to 1" PVC pipe adapters in today. The dry connection to a 1" elbow seems to be pretty loose, was this how yours were?
Mine aren't super tight either but the PVC glue should melt and seal connections well. Just apply primer and liberally use glue.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question that comes up allot is "How do I convert my metric plumbing to US spec?". Red Sea owners are always asking this.

Here I will explain what Red Sea owners need to do to get a clean finish and conversion. Also the adapter I use can be used on any 32mm plumbing to convert it to 1" plumbing.

First thing many US Red Sea owners want to do is modify plumbing to suit their needs. There are several different ways this can be done. This is the method I figured out and it's very inexpensive to do.

If a owner wants to switch their Red Sea system over from where the bulkhead exits the tank you need to get yourself Red Sea Part 42221. The websites that list this part will say it's meant for different size tanks and models. Disregard what the description is telling you, you’re using this part to modify your system.

The adapter can be glued direct to the outside of part 42221 with ABS to PVC glue. Or the adapter can fit direct over the stock 32mm pipe plumbing on the Red Sea or other brand tank.
I used the above method to convert the return pipe plumbing from 25mm to 32mm/1" It restricts the flow less than the stock plumbing.

Here’s a comparison of the 32mm/1” vs 3/4” threaded setup. You can see how the 32mm/1” version has much better flow.

32mm/1”

3/4” threaded

The Red Sea 42221 parts can be sourced direct from Red Sea. I find their shipping to be very high. I instead ordered from Marine and Reef and saved $10 in shipping.

This is the ABS to PVC adhesive I used. I got it from Lowes but most Big Box stores will have it.

This is my part with the adapter installed and I can add any 1" coupler, elbow or 45 degree bend to it I want. This will adapt to my flow sensor and to my Pump.

The finished project. The mod is the far left pipe. RedSea’s stock plumbing is the center and far right.

Thanks so much!!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for doing this. I had a heck of a time getting all the right stuff. None of the e-reef stores carry much or explain much. More and more systems are using this funny pipe.
I wish @Bulk Reef Supply would expand their offering along with a chart and maybe video.
To do everything I wanted took me a few weeks of mail orders because you always need that one piece and have to run back to the hardware store, and metric has to be ordered.
BTW I hate stacking 3 or 4 fittings to make a transition ;Vomit;Greedy

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for doing this. I had a heck of a time getting all the right stuff. None of the e-reef stores carry much or explain much. More and more systems are using this funny pipe.
I wish @Bulk Reef Supply would expand their offering along with a chart and maybe video.
To do everything I wanted took me a few weeks of mail orders because you always need that one piece and have to run back to the hardware store, and metric has to be ordered.
BTW I hate stacking 3 or 4 fittings to make a transition ;Vomit;Greedy
Yea, the nice thing is this is a 1 fitting and your on your way US spec. I sent the info to BRS and they wrote back thanking me. So we’ll see if they pursue it.

Edelmango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fix!! Thank you for your time in documenting. I am having a little trouble finding the metric to std convert on FlexPVC. Do you by chance have the specific part number?

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Email Red Sea and see if you can convince them to include these in their kit for the US market. I went through this on my E260 the other day and ended up ordering 2 more of the barbed fittings and just went with 5/8” braided vinyl to finish it.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

32mm/1”

3/4” threaded

Thank you for the write up on this!
I had already researched and went a different direction. I wanted to add it here for others to see another possible option.

I went with the Metric to Standard Union found out on CoralVue's site
I was in the process of trying to figure out how to get the part #42221 converted and ran across your post.
This will work perfectly I think. I just need to get the ABS to PC glue and think I'll be all set.
Thanks again!

20210219_134344.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back