How to convert from one salt to another

Corals & Cabs

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 11, 2025
Messages
33
Reaction score
9
Location
Merritt Island, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers

I want to convert from Red Sea PRO to Tropic Marin PRO. Does anyone have recommendations on how to? Do I start with water changes, or do I need to phase it in slowly? Or is this not a big deal, but I think it is just due to the difference in Alkalinity to start!
Some guidance would be appreciated.
 
I'm not sure which one has the higher alk, but to switch you can just gradually switch doing standard 10% water changes weekly.
Keep your Alk measured, if you need to add kalkwasser or something that would be the time to do it etc.
 
I’m sure others will give their input but the way I did it was mixing bags, back when I used the rest of my regular purple bag IO and switched to IO reef crystals. I saw no difference in corals behavior. I’m sure just switching won’t be that huge of a swing as long as your doing 20% water changes
 
Changed from Reef Crystals to Red Sea Blue bucket.... was straight forward with small frequent water changes. Do 10% weekly and no ill effects were noticed.
 
I would do it carefully, I tried shifting away from Coral pro once with water changes and within 2 weeks my corals were very unhappy. I went back to coral pro but it still took months for my tank to get over it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new