How to cool new saltwater for WC ?

sahilchaddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a 96L (25g) Nano AIO Tank with Hailea Chiller HS28A. I keep my tank temperature at 25C (77F).
I do bi-weekly 30L (8g) water change mostly for nutrient export.

I usually mix salt on Friday Night & change water on Saturday Nights. The new saltwater temperature is around 31C (88F). My room temperature is usually at 32C (89.6F).

During water change, i notice a huge jump of tank temperature from 25C (77F) to 29C (84F) . And both my shrimps don't seem to like it since they usually molt the night after water change.

How can i cool my new saltwater without the need of buying a new chiller just for water changes ?

How do other members living in tropical region manage temperature jump during WC ?

Last edited:

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float a frozen water bottle or jug in your salt container. Monitor close so you don’t under shoot your target temp.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fan blowing over it will work too. There will be some evaporation but I don't think it'll be enough to cause an increase in salinity. You'll have to monitor not to undershoot too though.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several 1 gallon milk jugs in my chest freezer just in case the AC fails in the heat of summer. Always a good thing to keep around.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 on frozen water bottles. I keep a half dozen in the freezer in summer for power outages and cheap cooler ice. If by "ice packs" you mean the blue gel stuff, I wouldn't put those in the tank.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good advice given on this. I think that will help you with the Temps. Unrelated but related, your shrimp molting may be more because of a sudden increase in minerals and other things in the water than the temp itself. A fresh infusion of new water can cause coral to breed fish to breed and other things to happen in our tank environments.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fill a gallon zip lock with ice cubes and drop it in to cool water when needed, but the ice pack idea sounds good to me also.

OP
OP
sahilchaddha

sahilchaddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have multiple unused liquid based ice packs. I am putting all the ice packs in a plastic bag and then put the plastic bag in my bucket. I hope the plastic bag prevents saltwater to have direct contact with ice packs.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back