How to cure ich

shivram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm having a 170g MT , and i found my fishes are having ich , and i wanted to know how to cure ??

My steps right now are

I'm using UV sterilizer
And going to dose allicin in water

Will this be helpfull ??
Please help

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uv might help a little but not cure it all the way. garlic extract is not going to do anything for ich. its a myth,
There are only 4 known methods to cure ich, you will need to catch all fish and put them in QT. then apply one of the following.
1. hyposalinity
2 copper based medication
3. tank transfer method
4. chloroquine phosphate

here is alink to some guides i wrote to help cure ich.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...-of-it-using-chloroquine-phosphate-cp.297799/

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Dr. Reef and @HotRocks.

Copper power and the Hanna checker with a QT is my go-to.

Dr Tim’s or BioSpira for bacteria in qt.

Can you post pics of the afflicted fish? It may be velvet these days..

Sorry for the trouble, good luck! :)

OP
OP
shivram

shivram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Dr. Reef and @HotRocks.

Copper power and the Hanna checker with a QT is my go-to.

Dr Tim’s or BioSpira for bacteria in qt.

Can you post pics of the afflicted fish? It may be velvet these days..

Sorry for the trouble, good luck! :)
It died yesterday
20180716_210944.jpeg

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry... he was beautiful. It does look like velvet in a way. Unfortunately, velvet wiped out almost my entire tank in less than two weeks. The fish I managed to catch, quarantine, and treat died as well. I didn’t get to them fast enough I guess. I have a few remaining and they are apparently very hardy and have developed some sort of immunity. Good luck! I wasn’t successful at treating so I don’t have suggestions. My experience has been that once one fish has it, they all have it. It’s hard to get rid of short of removing all your fish and letting the tank lie empty for two months or so. I have no way of doing that as my QT is too small and I wouldn’t be able to catch them all. I would have to dismantle the tank which isn’t possible. I hope you have an easier time than I did.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It died yesterday
20180716_210944.jpeg
That’s most definitely velvet. Sorry for your loss. You’ll need to remove all fish in that tank and leave the tank fallow for 76 days — and treat the remaining fish with copper in quarantine.

Velvet is everywhere these days, you’ll not be managing velvet so that idea is out the window. Sorry for your loss, again :(

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry... he was beautiful. It does look like velvet in a way. Unfortunately, velvet wiped out almost my entire tank in less than two weeks. The fish I managed to catch, quarantine, and treat died as well. I didn’t get to them fast enough I guess. I have a few remaining and they are apparently very hardy and have developed some sort of immunity. Good luck! I wasn’t successful at treating so I don’t have suggestions. My experience has been that once one fish has it, they all have it. It’s hard to get rid of short of removing all your fish and letting the tank lie empty for two months or so. I have no way of doing that as my QT is too small and I wouldn’t be able to catch them all. I would have to dismantle the tank which isn’t possible. I hope you have an easier time than I did.
Sorry for your losses as well, unfortunately a select few fish can become resistant to velvet (wrasse because of the thick mucous coats, the fact that they sleep under the sand and/or in mucous cocoons— and gobies to name a few occasional possibilities) but the issue is if you ever plan to keep other fish, or really much of anything long-term, they’re going to continue to reinfect your fish. Even new additions that are wrasse or gobies will likely die — by the time we receive fish through he distribution system their immune systems are so weak from transport, constant medication exposure at subtherapeutic levels, poor water quality, and perhaps worse of all they’re often not fed hardly anything, if at all, so that they don’t soil the shipping bag and save costs.

It’s a tough reality. I managed velvet in my wrasse tank and even had a blonde naso tang that built the resistance — for 6 months though I slowly lost fish due to gill infestations beyond sight to velvet and eventually the tank wiped out with a power outage event. No one stood a chance with a low level velvet infestation, it lies in wait for the slightest lapse in full immune response, living within the gills of the fish out of sight if they’re “immune” (in reality, this is just a resistance). 95% of fish inhabitants though will not be able to do this, and it wasn’t the ethical thing to do.

Eventually I removed and treated the blonde naso tang. I’ve never looked back my fish are much happier, far fewer die, and they look and behave MUCH better!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses as well, unfortunately a select few fish can become resistant to velvet (wrasse because of the thick mucous coats, the fact that they sleep under the sand and/or in mucous cocoons— and gobies to name a few occasional possibilities) but the issue is if you ever plan to keep other fish, or really much of anything long-term, they’re going to continue to reinfect your fish. Even new additions that are wrasse or gobies will likely die — by the time we receive fish through he distribution system their immune systems are so weak from transport, constant medication exposure at subtherapeutic levels, poor water quality, and perhaps worse of all they’re often not fed hardly anything, if at all, so that they don’t soil the shipping bag and save costs.

It’s a tough reality. I managed velvet in my wrasse tank and even had a blonde naso tang that built the resistance — for 6 months though I slowly lost fish due to gill infestations beyond sight to velvet and eventually the tank wiped out with a power outage event. No one stood a chance with a low level velvet infestation, it lies in wait for the slightest lapse in full immune response, living within the gills of the fish out of sight if they’re “immune” (in reality, this is just a resistance). 95% of fish inhabitants though will not be able to do this, and it wasn’t the ethical thing to do.

Eventually I removed and treated the blonde naso tang. I’ve never looked back my fish are much happier, far fewer die, and they look and behave MUCH better!
So you’re saying that EVERY new fish I buy will die? What survived was a six line Wrasse, yellow Watchman Goby, a pair of yellow line gobies, and a purple firefish. About two weeks ago, I added three green chromis and they are doing fine. In my QT I have a scribbled Rabbitfish and a Tailspot Blenny. What is your suggestion? Thanks...

Btw... also lost an orange back fairy Wrasse. Hardy beast... he was one of the few I was able to catch and quarantine and he held on for quite a while. Eventually, he died too.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re saying that EVERY new fish I buy will die? What survived was a six line Wrasse, yellow Watchman Goby, a pair of yellow line gobies, and a purple firefish. About two weeks ago, I added three green chromis and they are doing fine. In my QT I have a scribbled Rabbitfish and a Tailspot Blenny. What is your suggestion? Thanks...

Btw... also lost an orange back fairy Wrasse. Hardy beast... he was one of the few I was able to catch and quarantine and he held on for quite a while. Eventually, he died too.
I’m saying your fish are much much more likely to die that you add in the future. Your rabbit fish is very very likely to perish. They have a unique resistant slime coat but their gills are fragile.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m saying your fish are much much more likely to die that you add in the future. Your rabbit fish is very very likely to perish. They have a unique resistant slime coat but their gills are fragile.
That’s a pooper.... makes me sad and nothing has happened yet. Maybe I’ll just trash the whole thing. I don’t know what to do with the corals though. They would get destroyed if I dismantled the tank.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the losses. It was also a regal angel I had in QT and not eating. It had been through TTM and treated with prazi already. The observation period was then cut short when my wife helped convince me to be worried about it not eating and maybe it would eat if in the DT and feel less stressed. I skipped my own QT rules and ended up with velvet from that introduction. Hard to lose a fish like that on top of many of the others then exposed :( Lesson learned, and besides not doing that again CP is now on hand for all new fish as well. I don't want to deal with velvet in the DT ever again!!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pooper.... makes me sad and nothing has happened yet. Maybe I’ll just trash the whole thing. I don’t know what to do with the corals though. They would get destroyed if I dismantled the tank.
Put the coral back in the tank when you remove the fish? The tank does not have to be coral-free for 76 days, just fishless. Inverts and coral are fine to remain. I've also kept my coral in Rubbermaid bins with powerheads, lights, and heaters successfully in the past when needed.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the coral back in the tank when you remove the fish? The tank does not have to be coral-free for 76 days, just fishless. Inverts and coral are fine to remain. I've also kept my coral in Rubbermaid bins with powerheads, lights, and heaters successfully in the past when needed.
I could but they’re encrusted to the rock. They would likely get broken in the process. Besides, I don’t have a QT big enough for them all. This will require some thought. Thank you for the help... I really do appreciate it...even when the news isn’t great.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock and corals plus inverts can stay in the tank. Just take the fish out.
Run your tank without fish just like normal for 10 to 11 weeks and tank will be ich free.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could but they’re encrusted to the rock. They would likely get broken in the process. Besides, I don’t have a QT big enough for them all. This will require some thought. Thank you for the help... I really do appreciate it...even when the news isn’t great.
Been there and done that. Unfortunately you’re prolonging the inevitable. IMO get it out of the way and don’t ponder, the result won’t change.

I know that’s direct I don’t mean that in a bad way, just trying to help.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there and done that. Unfortunately you’re prolonging the inevitable. IMO get it out of the way and don’t ponder, the result won’t change.

I know that’s direct I don’t mean that in a bad way, just trying to help.
I don’t take offense. I appreciate your honesty and you’re probably right. I’m getting ready to set up a biocube 32 for an anemone tank but it needs to age a bit si I may stick everything in there. But I have a question... let’s say I catch everyone and move them to some sort of QT. Everyone does well in quarantine and after 2.5 months, I throw everyone back in to the display. All the exposed fish will still be carriers and, in turn, will reinfect the tank.

Or... are saying I should move everyone and treat them prophylactically?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t take offense. I appreciate your honesty and you’re probably right. I’m getting ready to set up a biocube 32 for an anemone tank but it needs to age a bit si I may stick everything in there. But I have a question... let’s say I catch everyone and move them to some sort of QT. Everyone does well in quarantine and after 2.5 months, I throw everyone back in to the display. All the exposed fish will still be carriers and, in turn, will reinfect the tank.

Or... are saying I should move everyone and treat them prophylactically?

Yes, fish would have to be treated while tank is fallow, or your exactly right.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back