How to cycle my biocube

  • Thread starter Thread starter abryant
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Looks a whole lot like what I saw when I cycled my biocube. Even in the same spots.
I vacuumed it up and flipped on an inexpensive Amazon 9w UV light submerged in my pump sump (chamber 3). It was gone in a week or so. Haven't seen the same stuff on the sand since.

I discontinued using the UV light after 2 weeks. Don't know if the UV was really beneficial or not to help clear it up quick, could be it was a dumb thing to do, but the UV didn't seem to hurt anything either (other than giving my pump a slightly weathered sunbaked look on the plastic housing). If I ever decide to use UV again at some later date, I will likely go with a flowthrough design.
So did you also clean it off your rocks? And do I need to UV light? And did you not have your lights on your lid on during this time?
 
So did you also clean it off your rocks? And do I need to UV light? And did you not have your lights on your lid on during this time?
I tried to blow anything off the rocks before vacuuming the sand, but I didnt scrub them or anything like that. Tried to do a top down clean if that makes sense.

I went with the UV because I got a little panicked after watching some 'how to' videos and reading a few guides. I genuinely can't say if the open UV light I used was helpful or did nothing at all and the tank cleared on its own just from vacuuming a couple times. Wish I could say one way or the other, but I just don't have enough experience as this was my first tank cycling.

For lighting, I turned off the main white light (channel 1) for 2 weeks, but left the other white and the blue (channels 2, 3) to still turn on during daytime.
 
I tried to blow anything off the rocks before vacuuming the sand, but I didnt scrub them or anything like that. Tried to do a top down clean if that makes sense.

I went with the UV because I got a little panicked after watching some 'how to' videos and reading a few guides. I genuinely can't say if the open UV light I used was helpful or did nothing at all and the tank cleared on its own just from vacuuming a couple times. Wish I could say one way or the other, but I just don't have enough experience as this was my first tank cycling.

For lighting, I turned off the main white light (channel 1) for 2 weeks, but left the other white and the blue (channels 2, 3) to still turn on during daytime.
Okay I will give it a try thanks man
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new