How to dispose of live rock?

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with aiptasia in my tank for months and I was thinking of taking 2/6 of my rocks out of the tank. How should I properly dispose of them as they are aiptasia ridden.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In your trash? Not sure what your concern is. I would take the rock out, clean it (to remove the aiptasia) and if you don't need/want it, you can sell it?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yard/toss it in the yard to age out as terrestrial would be my vote.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
second option: let's remove the aiptasia the correct way so I can use it in a writeup. actually use the rocks but ignore the greater public's way, we remove the aiptasia's my way, then just keep the rocks.

these are easy to beat if you remove them the right way. it's not an animal, an injection, a glue, or anything that fragments them.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d not throw it away in the literal trash, but if you truly don’t want it and don’t feel like finding someone to take it, just set it outside. Put it along the edge of a garden. Don’t have it end up in a landfill. That’s just more waste. It’s perfectly fine to be simply left outdoors.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it away. Those are easy to deal with in tubs without light for a few months. If I had them here in Colorado, they would be beautiful and phosphate free in about 4-5 months in my basement.
Yup! Or just a couple days in the Colorado sun should kill almost every living thing on there!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with aiptasia in my tank for months and I was thinking of taking 2/6 of my rocks out of the tank. How should I properly dispose of them as they are aiptasia ridden.
Highly recommend that you check with your local fish store who may have a tank for live rock or nudibranch cultivation that will prevent waste of resources. They may even offer a credit.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
second option: let's remove the aiptasia the correct way so I can use it in a writeup. actually use the rocks but ignore the greater public's way, we remove the aiptasia's my way, then just keep the rocks.
Yes, because everything we do is for your benefit...

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

these are easy to beat if you remove them the right way. it's not an animal, an injection, a glue, or anything that fragments them.
care to enlighten everyone how that would be done.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back