How to dose Kalk with dosing pump based of pH probe?

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by FireEMT, Mar 9, 2017.

1. FireEMT

FireEMT Active Member

I have heard thats its possible to dose Kalk based off your pH probe. To write some code saying if pH drops below some value then to dose Kalk from a separate container. Is this something that works. I currently dose 2 part but want to add some Kalk to boost pH to help battle some Dino. Any information would be appreciated.

2. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

I definitely would not use a pH probe, except to stop dosing in emergency overdose.

Most people can let it dose close to the evaporation limit without any excessive pH issue.

3. FireEMT

FireEMT Active Member

So your recommendation would be to just add it to the ATO reservoir? My ATO pump sits right on the bottom of my 5 gallon container. How much would I have to raise it off the bottom and how much Kalk should I add each time? Thanks in advance for the information.

Draft saved Draft deleted