How to dose monopotassium phosphate

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a 24 gallon/90 litre sumpless, skimmerless, and refugiumless tank and zero phosphates.
My levels are:
Kh 7.7
Calcium 420
Mag 1320
Temp 78.8
Ph 8 (I dont chase this)
Nitrates 10-15
Phosphates 0
Salinity 1.026
All test kits are I date salifert kits.

The issue I have had, was major growth of digitata for a good year and a bit, then alk and calcium consumption stopped, the digitata paled then died ( I'm assuming phosphate limited). This led to a cyano outbreak which I treated with red slime remover, that is now gone.
To my current issue, I am feeding heavier to get phosphates up and the lps are looking better though not the best they have, i dont do big water changes maybe 10% every 6 weeks.
The remnants of the dead digi are growing again, this is a good sign.

But I do have a little dino on the rear filter box of the tank. With feeding alone I'm not getting a detectable phosphate, so I'm looking for advise to dose phosphates in the form of a diy solution of monopotassium phosphate at a ratio of 5g to 500ml of rodi, 1ml of this solution, from what I understand will raise PO4 by 0.07 phosphates and 0.04 potassium per 100litres of water.
I would like help in how much and how often to dose a 90 litre system please.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frequency in you will need to dose will be based on consumption. I have to dose multiple tanks, and they are all setup for the same schedule, but all get a different amount due to how quickly they are consumed.

I had to measure phosphates daily for a week to get a baseline, and now I test weekly. Once I started adding PO4, my macro consumed more than it was and my corals consumed more once it became available to them freely. In the end you will just need to figure consumption and base it off of that. I do need to say, I am using trisodium phosphate and not potassium phosphate. With that said, the principle about dosing frequency applies to either, but potassium will need to be monitored on your end as well.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frequency in you will need to dose will be based on consumption. I have to dose multiple tanks, and they are all setup for the same schedule, but all get a different amount due to how quickly they are consumed.

I had to measure phosphates daily for a week to get a baseline, and now I test weekly. Once I started adding PO4, my macro consumed more than it was and my corals consumed more once it became available to them freely. In the end you will just need to figure consumption and base it off of that. I do need to say, I am using trisodium phosphate and not potassium phosphate. With that said, the principle about dosing frequency applies to either, but potassium will need to be monitored on your end as well.
Thanks for that, from what ice read, which isn't that much to be honest. Is that the potassium shouldn't increase that much that ,I myself could test.
I'm going to start at 1ml a day for a few days and then test, then go from there, while doing this I'm going back to the feeding schedule I was doing before as adding so much food is going to push the nitrates higher as if last night was around 20. I'm hoping to get phosphates up to minimum 0.03 but I don't mind a little higher even all the way up to 0.1, if my lps colour up nicely. The monti that's regrowing on the green it looks nicer already.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a current tank shot as of 5 mins ago, the glass hasn't been cleaned since Saturday so please excuse that.
Full tank shot
Screenshot_20190918-164731_Gallery.jpg

Digitata
Screenshot_20190918-164711_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190918-164722_Gallery.jpg

The last shot is the dino on the filter box
Screenshot_20190918-164837_Gallery.jpg

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this? I was considering MKP as one option. Another one is Trisodium Phosphate - Na3PO4 . I am currently dosing Brightwell NeoPhos but looking for a more cost effective method and since I am dosing KNO3 for Nitrates I did not want to double up on Potassium and risk elevated levels.

Back