How to effectively dislodge AEFW from SPS?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to use a solution to spray on my corals to irritate the flatworms to dislodge them.

I know I can use a powerhead, but I wanted something a little more irritating to the flatworm.

I like the turkey blaster method, but I want to add something to the turkey baster instead of just saltwater.

I have lots of hungry fish that will easily eat the flatworms that fall off.

Here are some ideas:

I intend to spray/baste off the AEFW as much as possible to interrupt their egg lifecycle, so the more effective the solution is to dislodge the flatworms, the better.

The goal is not complete eradication. Just a way to limit the population. But if I can find a way to dislodge ALL the flatworms from the corals, and repeat it frequently, eradication is theoretically possible.

I can remove all the SPS corals, QT them with frequent Bayer dips, but the issue is that they have encrusted, so I can’t remove all traces of acros, which means that the flatworms will continue their lifecycle.

Luckily, my corals are small frags,and not branched out, so the basting method is totally possible!

Edit, I have decided to spray potassium chloride instead. I saw some reefers do it with success. I will start next week. Thank you.

Last edited:

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to use a solution to spray on my corals to irritate the flatworms to dislodge them.

I know I can use a powerhead, but I wanted something a little more irritating to the flatworm.

I like the turkey blaster method, but I want to add something to the turkey baster instead of just saltwater.

I have lots of hungry fish that will easily eat the flatworms that fall off.

Here are some ideas:

I intend to spray/baste off the AEFW as much as possible to interrupt their egg lifecycle, so the more effective the solution is to dislodge the flatworms, the better.

The goal is not complete eradication. Just a way to limit the population. But if I can find a way to dislodge ALL the flatworms from the corals, and repeat it frequently, eradication is theoretically possible.

I can remove all the SPS corals, QT them with frequent Bayer dips, but the issue is that they have encrusted, so I can’t remove all traces of acros, which means that the flatworms will continue their lifecycle.

Luckily, my corals are small frags,and not branched out, so the basting method is totally possible!

Edit, I have decided to spray potassium chloride instead. I saw some reefers do it with success. I will start next week. Thank you.

How did this turn out. I have aefw :/

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back