How to fix levels?

Samantha732

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just started my first saltwater tank after 2 years of having 2 freshwater tanks.

I have an Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion Pro 20 and I have all live rock (20lb) and live sand. Here are my levels currently

Phosphate- 0.06
Calcium- 535
Magnesium- 1380
Alkalinity- 14.4
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

I use HANNA checkers for phosphate and calcium, Salifert test kits for magnesium and alkalinity.

How do I get these levels to a normal range other than water changes? I have been doing 20% weekly for about 3 weeks. Thanks in advance!

75BE13E1-46A2-40DB-A215-0BCEB6975BE2.JPG

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing to note is that you should not have mineral levels this high unless one of two things is happening.

1. You are overdosing supplements
2. You are using a high trace element salt that has naturally high levels.

I suspect you are not adding any supplements at this time so most likely your salt mix is mixing this high and when you do water changes it does not lower the levels because the new water also has high trace element levels. You can test your new water to confirm this.

If this is the case then the only solution is to switch salts or wait until the coral naturally consume the trace elements.

While some would disagree. IMO these levels are not so high that animals will die.
(Disclaimer. If they suddenly jumped this high corals might die but corals can be kept at these levels as long as they are stable.)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Samantha732

Samantha732

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing to note is that you should not have mineral levels this high unless one of two things is happening.

1. You are overdosing supplements
2. You are using a high trace element salt that has naturally high levels.

I suspect you are not adding any supplements at this time so most likely your salt mix is mixing this high and when you do water changes it does not lower the levels because the new water also has high trace element levels. You can test your new water to confirm this.

If this is the case then the only solution is to switch salts or wait until the coral naturally consume the trace elements.

While some would disagree. IMO these levels are not so high that animals will die.
(Disclaimer. If they suddenly jumped this high corals might die but corals can be kept at these levels as long as they are stable.)
Thank you for the reply. You are correct, I am not adding any supplements at this time. I use Red Sea Coral Pro which I have heard can test high, but I was unsure how high they would test. I do not have any corals or fish in this tank yet, I wanted to wait until the levels were more normal, that's just me being nit-picky. Would adding a hardy coral to the tank help? Would you advise against that?

Upvote 0

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. You are correct, I am not adding any supplements at this time. I use Red Sea Coral Pro which I have heard can test high, but I was unsure how high they would test. I do not have any corals or fish in this tank yet, I wanted to wait until the levels were more normal, that's just me being nit-picky. Would adding a hardy coral to the tank help? Would you advise against that?
RedSea Coral pro normally mixes in this range. I would proceed with adding fish and coral as normal. If you would like to maintain lower levels then it is best to use a salt that mixes in the range you want to maintain.

At some point you will need to do a large water change because of a mistake or emergency. It is best that when this happens there is not a huge change in alkalinity between your new water and old water. Otherwise the water change itself can stress the animals because of the sudden change in alkalinity.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RedSea Coral pro normally mixes in this range. I would proceed with adding fish and coral as normal. If you would like to maintain lower levels then it is best to use a salt that mixes in the range you want to maintain.

At some point you will need to do a large water change because of a mistake or emergency. It is best that when this happens there is not a huge change in alkalinity between your new water and old water. Otherwise the water change itself can stress the animals because of the sudden change in alkalinity.

That is too high for coral pro salt. You have to mix above 1.026 to reach those levels.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Samantha732

Samantha732

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay, Thank you!

Upvote 0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just started my first saltwater tank after 2 years of having 2 freshwater tanks.

I have an Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion Pro 20 and I have all live rock (20lb) and live sand. Here are my levels currently

Phosphate- 0.06
Calcium- 535
Magnesium- 1380
Alkalinity- 14.4
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

I use HANNA checkers for phosphate and calcium, Salifert test kits for magnesium and alkalinity.

How do I get these levels to a normal range other than water changes? I have been doing 20% weekly for about 3 weeks. Thanks in advance!

No rush, but alkalinity will become more important to try to keep stable, thus testing every other day, until it is consistent. Hanna makes a good tester for that.

Upvote 0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Phosphate- 0.06
Calcium- 535
Magnesium- 1380
Alkalinity- 14.4
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

Also maybe think about an ato, like tunze 3152, as that will keep salinity more stable than manually topping off.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated in original post, I use HANNA checkers for calcium, Salifert for alkalinity and magnesium

Ah sorry I missed that!

I wonder if the salt needed to be shaken around in the bag to distribute it more.

Regardless, I really wouldn't worry.

Upvote 0

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited my post before this one. It's either some type of product you
I actually just purchased that exact ato haha it'll be here Friday
My guess is the salt mix. Try testing a fresh batch of mixed salt in a 5 gal bucket, mix it with a pump for about 4 hrs or longer, then test the water in the bucket. If the levels are high in the bucket, it's the salt. If it's not, it's something else. Good luck! If you try this make sure the salinity matches what you have in the display.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Samantha732

Samantha732

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited my post before this one. It's either some type of product you

My guess is the salt mix. Try testing a fresh batch of mixed salt in a 5 gal bucket, mix it with a pump for about 4 hrs or longer, then test the water in the bucket. If the levels are high in the bucket, it's the salt. If it's not, it's something else. Good luck! If you try this make sure the salinity matches what you have in the display.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back