How to fix this on front acrylic pane

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not really sure what these are. But I am guessing it is some acrylic glue that dropped when the tank was being put together. I can feel with my hand it protrudes from the face - not a scratch.

What is the best way to fix this? Not positive I would see it filled but knowing it is there is nagging me. Would you fix it?

2899.jpg 2899 (1).jpg

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you just peel it off? A plastic spatula or credit card may help you get started.

I thought about using a razor blade and peeling it off. Have you done something like that here before? Nervous it might cause a crack to streak through and ruin a project that has gotten rather expensive :p

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use a razor blade. Acrylic, while stunningly beautiful, is notoriously prone to scratches. That is why I advised something plastic above.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I might go that route. Curious if anyone has had this problem before and fixed it before I try though

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I might go that route. Curious if anyone has had this problem before and fixed it before I try though
Sorry I can't be more help. I stick with glass personally. Its resilience and low cost far outweighs the brilliance of acrylic. Hope someone with firsthand experience can chime in and help you... Good luck.!

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't be more help. I stick with glass personally. Its resilience and low cost far outweighs the brilliance of acrylic. Hope someone with firsthand experience can chime in and help you... Good luck.!

Thanks!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren’t going to scrape acrylic solvent out. It doesn’t work that way. It doesn’t provide surface adhesion, it uses a chemical reaction to melt the acrylic. Your best bet is to buff them out before you fill the tank. If it is too deep to buff out, I have seen acrylic filled by using water thin solvent stirred with acrylic “saw dust”. Then spread over the offending area and sanded smooth, then buffed out. That last method should be a last ditch effort.

Last edited:

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren’t going to scrape acrylic solvent out. It doesn’t work that way. It doesn’t provide surface adhesion, it uses a chemical reaction to melt the acrylic. Your best bet is to buff them out before you fill the tank. If it is too deep to buff out, I have seen acrylic filled by using water thin solvent stirred with acrylic “saw dust”. Then spread over the offending area and sanded smooth, then buffed out. That last method should be a last ditch effort.

Seconded. This is a polish operation. Which is a giant pain, just because acrylic is so soft so its easy to make things worse.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounding more involved than I had hoped. Might be smart to fill it up with water and see how bad it bothers me first. Thanks everyone

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more concerned with that seam. Looks to me like there's a ton of air bubbles where the acrylic is bonded together. I don't know much about building with acrylic, but I thought I remember reading that a good seam should be free of bubbles.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back