How to frag a toadstool coral.

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZoaFan08
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ZoaFan08

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
302
Reaction score
15
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly large Tyree toadstool that I wanted to frag up but I am unsure how to go about it. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
 
Mine frags by itself, weird after a while it starts tearing itself up, but I also would cut it up with knife or anything sharp, it heals pretty quick.
 
Scissors will do the job.

I would run them over with some alcohol first to get all the oils and stuff off - I do that to my scalpel blades and everything, just to prevent bacterial infections or oil transfer.
 
You can cut a piece anywhere on a toadstool, Rubberband it to something until it attaches itseld. I fragged a toadstool into like 12 pieces, just cut the thing up...
 
Awesome thanks. Can I use frag glue or should I just ruberband them?
 
THat will not stay glued, They slime way to much, Most softies are this way

Yea I ran into that problem when I fragged my sinularia so I used toothpicks. When I tried rubberbands it cut it in half.


Thanks for the help guys!
 
I think i have a toadstool, can someone check this for me?
MobileMe Gallery
Tunde

This looks like a toadstool
web.jpg
 
Last edited:
A guy I know posted his technique over on Reef Central, and it worked remarkably well. He cut around the entire "rim" of the toadstool, basically cutting a donut shaped piece. He then cut that piece into 8-10 equal size pieces, mounted them to rubble with rubberbands, and within a week or so, all had started growing stalks and polyps. He documented it with pics.
 
A guy I know posted his technique over on Reef Central, and it worked remarkably well. He cut around the entire "rim" of the toadstool, basically cutting a donut shaped piece. He then cut that piece into 8-10 equal size pieces, mounted them to rubble with rubberbands, and within a week or so, all had started growing stalks and polyps. He documented it with pics.

Have a link?
 


the rubberband must be lose for it to work right the better method is to just superglue it down. if the glue comes lose just reglue, it should attatch its self within a week or so.
 
A guy I know posted his technique over on Reef Central, and it worked remarkably well. He cut around the entire "rim" of the toadstool, basically cutting a donut shaped piece. He then cut that piece into 8-10 equal size pieces, mounted them to rubble with rubberbands, and within a week or so, all had started growing stalks and polyps. He documented it with pics.

Great technique... what I plan to do to mine in about 2 weeks
 
How do you minimize chances of infection to the raw cuts...iodine dip, furan dip or other?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new