How to frag coral for the first time

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

My first tank is now almost 1 year old and one of the corals has grown pretty good. I would like to attempt to frag it. I don't have any experience yet, watched a few videos but thought the R2R folks are always the best resource. Would anyone be willing to share the "how to"?
Apologies, you will need to be pretty literal with me. I have been looking at it trying to figure it out and yes, I tend to overthink pretty much everything. :cool:
Of course, as always thank you!!
This is the guy:
20240125_170913.jpg
20240125_171002.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone,

My first tank is now almost 1 year old and one of the corals has grown pretty good. I would like to attempt to frag it. I don't have any experience yet, watched a few videos but thought the R2R folks are always the best resource. Would anyone be willing to share the "how to"?
Apologies, you will need to be pretty literal with me. I have been looking at it trying to figure it out and yes, I tend to overthink pretty much everything. :cool:
Of course, as always thank you!!
This is the guy:
20240125_170913.jpg
20240125_171002.jpg
Bone cutter, hammer or saw are my methods. Have frag plugs or tiles and gel glue or frag glue and you are set

OP
OP
JK75gal

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have just ripped it off the rock. Gsp is very forgiving.
Ok, I just tried to reach in and pull a piece off by gently waving the water to get it to close, then tried to pull where it is attached to the rock, does not appear that will happen. It seems to thinly attached not sure how to get under it at all.
I have seen videos where mushrooms out of the water and the reefer simply slices it in halve. Can I take this out of the water? If so for how long? Maybe then I can get a better sense of how to remove a piece.
Thank you for the patience, I do want to learn how to do this properly. Unlike the way I started in the hobby wasting alot of time and money before good research. and of course joining R2R :)

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and yes, I take all my corals out to frag, as long as they are moist they can stay out for a surprising amount of time. Of course I try to keep it to a minimum. If the rock is easy to break that may be the easiest way to go.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I just tried to reach in and pull a piece off by gently waving the water to get it to close, then tried to pull where it is attached to the rock, does not appear that will happen. It seems to thinly attached not sure how to get under it at all.
I have seen videos where mushrooms out of the water and the reefer simply slices it in halve. Can I take this out of the water? If so for how long? Maybe then I can get a better sense of how to remove a piece.
Thank you for the patience, I do want to learn how to do this properly. Unlike the way I started in the hobby wasting alot of time and money before good research. and of course joining R2R :)
You could flush that thing down your toilet and it would be in your tank again tomorrow! Haha :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: J/k well I’m not but…. You can have it out for as long as you need 5min with zero harm.. when you pull it out the tentacles will retract and it’s easier to see and cut the mat and peel it off.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it's done. giving it time to see if it opens up. If so, image to follow, otherwise welll you know..
:anguished-face:
I am sure it will be fine so, thank you all for being so kind:smiling-face-with-halo:
It’s going to be fine, post a picture when it’s open.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back