how to get fish on mysis?

Thomas.flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time getting my fish on mysis. They currently take nothing but brine, which is 10 times less nutritious based on my research. will something like Selcon or Garlic Xtreme help them transition to mysis?

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time getting my fish on mysis. They currently take nothing but brine, which is 10 times less nutritious based on my research. will something like Selcon or Garlic Xtreme help them transition to mysis?
From what I know, Garlic Xtreme will help a fish transition to new food. I think it also depends on how long you’ve been feeding Mysis. For me, with pellets I needed to be persistent and after 4-5 days one fish ate one, then the others followed.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can for sure If your fish are into it. I've only found one picky eater ever responding to garlic.. I would be soaking my mysis in with the brine. Get that smell all over them. If they start eating the mysis with three brine, wein them over a little at a time.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep trying... and spirulina mysis are more nutritious (gut fed) than plain mysis

Yes those might help, but might just take time to transition... it's taken years to get our daughter to eat more than cheese pizza, hot dogs and chicken nuggets, but recently expanded to pepperoni on pizza - and ASKED to go along to sushi restaurant (we've dragged her along couple times in past many years so she's familiar with where we usually go)... one day, we just get a surprise and they eat something new we want them to eat... applies to fish and kids!!

I'm fighting with my CBB that ate spirulina mysis at LFS, only ate like 3 here, and continues to ignore ... I'm 2 months+ in... but I'm not letting Copper Banded Butterfly have black worms until all the mysis are gone (other fish eat) - I precut spirulina mysis, reef frenzy and rod's into little bits and repackage back in those little leftover spirulina mysis (or other) containers - it helps me with portion control.

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can for sure If your fish are into it. I've only found one picky eater ever responding to garlic.. I would be soaking my mysis in with the brine. Get that smell all over them. If they start eating the mysis with three brine, wein them over a little at a time.
Lol same here garlic didn’t change some of my fishes appetite at all. I thought I was somewhat alone because so many people swear by garlic.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol same here garlic didn’t change some of my fishes appetite at all. I thought I was somewhat alone because so many people swear by garlic.
Just like humans I think it's also individual. Half of my fish will wreck a sheet of purple nori, The other half don't even look at it. Most of my tangs won't touch it.

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like humans I think it's also individual. Half of my fish will wreck a sheet of purple nori, The other half don't even look at it. Most of my tangs won't touch it.
Yeah very true sometimes fish just have no interest like we do. Most of my fish love mysis but my gramma won’t touch it no matter what

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

some of my fish wouldn't even eat their regular food once soaked in garlic... suspect everything just takes time and patience... I tossed the garlic fish vitamins my LFS recommended - tried 2 different brands over time...

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the other relevant question here is What else will they eat? Have you tried out a varied assortment and seen what they also might respond to?

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the other relevant question here is What else will they eat? Have you tried out a varied assortment and seen what they also might respond to?
Just an extension to this comment; my fish really like mysis but will go absolutely crazy for cyclopods idk what it is they love it so if you’re finding they won’t eat mysis, maybe try something dissimilar.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tangs and one refused to eat mysis, pellets and fresh shrimp/clams I would make. It only ever ate spirulina brine shrimp and nori.
I kept mixing in the food and over time, 8 months to be exact, my yellow tang just finally started eating more than just the brineshrimp.
He now eats pellets which I only feed occasionally and if the pieces are small enough, he'll eat mysis and my frozen mix.
No coaxing with any additive just time and patience.

Good luck with your fish.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of mysis do you use? I feed my tank with PE frozen mysis shrimp and all the inhabitants of my tank love it.

Attachments

• D0793117-744E-452A-B26B-D56AC773EEDC.jpeg
    D0793117-744E-452A-B26B-D56AC773EEDC.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 81F66F12-BA4F-44C8-BC4C-0C1E326F5E1E.jpeg
    81F66F12-BA4F-44C8-BC4C-0C1E326F5E1E.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
T

Thomas.flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they love adult brine and also prime reef flake. they wont take pellets

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried mixing the mysis and brine and feeding them both at once?

I have had little luck with the garlic additives. I have had luck by getting the fish first on the freeze dried version then moving to frozen.

OP
OP
T

Thomas.flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tangs and one refused to eat mysis, pellets and fresh shrimp/clams I would make. It only ever ate spirulina brine shrimp and nori.
I kept mixing in the food and over time, 8 months to be exact, my yellow tang just finally started eating more than just the brineshrimp.
He now eats pellets which I only feed occasionally and if the pieces are small enough, he'll eat mysis and my frozen mix.
No coaxing with any additive just time and patience.

Good luck with your fish.
thanks

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone spouts out garlic because they think it makes them look like they know something that others don't. Years ago it was "feed garlic to cure ich".
In my experience, mysis products with garlic in them seem to make my fish a little more excited but I really don’t like the misleading claim that it wards off Ich and even Velvet. A fish that is eating will not cure it of Ich and may only ward it off for a while and even still that may be due to fish itself, not the food it’s eating.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back