How to get fish to eat seaweed?

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For context, I have a pair of ocellaris, a carpenter's flasher, a black clown goby, and a firefish. For the past couple of days I've been leaving a small square of seaweed hung by a clip for them to eat. However, they haven't nipped at it at all. I'm not too worried about the wrasse or the gobies but I wonder if the amount that the clownfish eat is just not noticeable for me? Perhaps I miscalculated their diet, as all I've fed them thus far is LRS nano frenzy. Anyone have any experience with getting stubborn fish to eat? I've looked into garlic guard, but are there any methods out there besides patience? Or was the seaweed a waste to begin with, seeing as the only animals in my tank that could eat the seaweed are my inverts and possibly my clownfish?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure clownfish are supposed to eat seaweed. Gobies and wrasse definitely don't. Your snails and whatnot will appreciate it, though.

OP
OP
lulubap

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure clownfish are supposed to eat seaweed. Gobies and wrasse definitely don't. Your snails and whatnot will appreciate it, though.
Yeah, totally overlooked the gobies and wrasse when I got it. Thought maybe there was a chance for my clownfish. I'll trash the clip then and tie the seaweed down with a frag plug lol, thanks for the input ! : )

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, totally overlooked the gobies and wrasse when I got it. Thought maybe there was a chance for my clownfish. I'll trash the clip then and tie the seaweed down with a frag plug lol, thanks for the input ! : )
I wouldn't trash the clip as you might have a use for it later- we have seen reefers use them in their refugium with macroalgae vs anchoring it to a rock or letting it tumble :)

OP
OP
lulubap

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trash the clip as you might have a use for it later- we have seen reefers use them in their refugium with macroalgae vs anchoring it to a rock or letting it tumble :)
This is a very good point! I'm looking to upgrade my filtration and add a refugium, so I'll definitely keep this in mind. "Trash" was a bit of an exaggeration. "Keep it hidden in my fish drawer until I find a use for it" was more what I meant in my head. Thank you!

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clown and melanarus wrasse both eat off the nori clip, the tangs swarm it and I think thats how they learned. Wouldn't consider it a staple of their diet though they have a couple bites and that's it usually.

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just like jmcg89 , my clowns and six line learned from my yellow tang lol. My fish eat whatever I put in , 50/50 , other frozens, arctipods, pellets

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 153 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back