How to get lower Alk with IO Reef Crystals?

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by Tail2112, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Tail2112

Tail2112 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I was wondering if anyone has any experience being able to lower the high alk that comes along with IO Reef Crystals?

Tags:

2. Velcro

Velcro Well-Known Member

You can (very carefully) add hydrochloric acid. I believe there are calculators out there. Make sure you aerate to let the CO2 that is created gas off so the ph of the water is appropriate.

3. tutmatt3

tutmatt3 Well-Known Member

Funny enough I think had big issues using the salt because my tank is so new and I'm sure the higher elements are meant for more mature tanks.

My solution was to begin doing water changes using instant oceans normal

Tank is about a 40% RC to 60% IO ratio and is doing dramatically better then that was with reef crystals only.

Might keep using both salts or only Instant Ocean I'm not sure yet, what the problem was my alkalinity wouldn't go down with reef crystals because everything was stagnant therefore nothing was getting used.

Just my recent $0.02

4. Waters

Waters "...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall." R2R Supporter

If you want to run a lower ALK, I would suggest just switching salts. I had the same issue so I switched to Red Sea blue which mixes at a MUCH lower ALK.

AdamNC likes this.
  5. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

I don't think there's any evidence that anything in Reef Crystals is too high for a "new tank", and the high alkalinity is only a concern in a very low nutrient SPS tank.

Sabellafella likes this.
  6. tutmatt3

Unfortunately I have no scientific evidence to support my claim, nor any official reasoning to offer, but literally doing a few water changes over the duration of a week, a few days later all rtn/stn issues i had stopped, and coraline began growing in spots all over the glass which its never on the past 6 months.

My 55g tank only has 4x smaller fish at the time (others in qt), so perhaps a lower bioload is part of the equation here

Cory likes this.
  7. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

Not sure what happened, but I can't see that being due to a problem with Reef Crystals that was fixed by IO. :)

8. bif24701

bif24701 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Use regular Instant Ocean

9. Randy Holmes-Farley

IMO, regular IO is a good choice and I used it for 20 years, but it too has quite high alkalinity, so if that is the concern, it won't help much. :)

10. bif24701

bif24701 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

IO does have high ALK, like about 10-12 dKH. However IO Reef Crystals has upto 15! I didn't know it was so high until about 6 months ago.

11. bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g Active Member

I use reef crystals and I have to dose calcium and alkalinity daily to keep it above 7.5 and I don't even have many corals in the tank :( Next water change I'll have to test the fresh mixed water before I put it in the tank to see what it reads at.

12. Randy Holmes-Farley

The difference is not typically that high. Maybe an off batch of RC at 15 dKH, or unusually high salinity.

bif24701 likes this.
  13. Tail2112

Tail2112 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Mine jumped up to 10.4 dkh after moving my tank. But I guess when I only do 10% water changes it won't hurt too much

SnowD likes this.
  14. Cory

Cory Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Article Contributor

I wonder if canadas io is different because ive always got 7-8dkh for alk at 35ppt.

15. Randy Holmes-Farley

Really? That's unexpected.

16. Cory

Cory Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Article Contributor

Yeah its unexpected i thought too. But reef crystals I got is 11dkh. I use a refractometer with atc.

17. tutmatt3

Well, when are you guys testing?

I notice if I test a new batch of RC an hour after mixing - it'll be high. 12-13

If I test it a few days after initial mixing (i have my bucket come on 4x times a day for 1 hour each time), it'll be much lower. 9-11

If I remember my previous readings, other people have this happen as well.

18. Randy Holmes-Farley

You may have both settling of solids (which dissolve in an alk test and give false high readings) and new precipitation that can lower measured alkalinity.

tutmatt3 likes this.
  19. tutmatt3

understood. Thanks randy!