How to get lower Alk with IO Reef Crystals?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, moisture can mobilize the alk and calcium allow them to interact and form insoluble calcium carbonate.

Any time someone asks if clumped salt is OK, my response is check the alkalinity. If it is OK, the salt mix is OK. If it is low, you might toss it, or at least supplement the alk (and maybe calcium) back in.

Heat also accelerates the precipitation of calcium carbonate. Some high alk mixes (e.g., Red Sea Coral Pro) warn against too much heating or mixing of new salt water for that reason.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, moisture can mobilize the alk and calcium allow them to interact and form insoluble calcium carbonate.

Any time someone asks if clumped salt is OK, my response is check the alkalinity. If it is OK, the salt mix is OK. If it is low, you might toss it, or at least supplement the alk (and maybe calcium) back in.

Heat also accelerates the precipitation of calcium carbonate. Some high alk mixes (e.g., Red Sea Coral Pro) warn against too much heating or mixing of new salt water for that reason.
Thanks for response. I better ditch that pump or just use it to pump water in. Its a good size off brand pump I got off amazon. I think It was being used for ponds and waterfalls maybe. It said 6 ft lift but really heats up water. I am going to start pumping water into my laundry room sink close by as soon as I get a longer hose, so I will need a strong lift.

I know some people use timers on their bins of mixed saltwater. I just let mine run. Is that bad or should I use a timer? If so what is a good recommendation to run it for? I have a big wavemaker I can use instead of pump for aeriation! I usually mix up day before and may only store for few days for my other tanks water change. Do I need to keep it heated at all or just before I put water in tank?

midwestreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience i usually have to add alk to reef crystals before adding to my tank, i only run my alk at 9, but everytime i do a waterchange my alk spikes low to around 8.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience i usually have to add alk to reef crystals before adding to my tank, i only run my alk at 9, but everytime i do a waterchange my alk spikes low to around 8.
Might want to check your refractometer. Rc always mixes 11+. No way it's causing a drop in alk.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back