How to get my Nitrate and Phosphate Back Up?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 4 months old, with one clownfish and a few snails. Having issues with Dinos, which I believe are due to my Nitrates and Phosphates being 0.

A month or so ago, my Nitrates were averaging 2.5 -10 and phosphates .03 (PO4 was only based on one or two tests). I'll note I was running filter floss, carbon & GFO because it came with my tanks filtration. In effort to increase my tanks biodiversity, I added copepods and started dosing a some phytoplankton from the Algae Barn. I misread the label and my phyto dosing was high for my size tank (was dosing 5ml instead of 2.5ml). After about a week of the phyto doing, I noticed my Nitrates and Phosphates drop until they reached 0. I belive this then caused a Dino bloom. Doing some research it did seem like phyto can decrease N & P.

I haven't dosed any phyto since 11/19/2020, and took out my GFO on 11/30/2020. Still having a difficult time getting my numbers up even after feeding heavily. Also did not preform my weekly water change for the first time this week.

Would really prefer not dosing anything.

Really want to start getting some soft corals, but would like to get this in line prior. Please help!

Thank you,

Jib

Edit: Using Salifert test kits.

Last edited:

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about PO4 so much. It could be bound up and not detectable, especially if you have lots of corals, any algae, etc.

NO3 is easily increased with dosing. Get stump remover. Check the ingredients and make sure it is Potassium Nitrate and not the sufite variety. Spectracide Stump Remover is what you want. I think I got it at Home Depot. 2 Tbs in 500 ml of RO water. Dose 10 ml to raise NO3 by about 2.5 ppm in a 100 gal tank.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about PO4 so much. It could be bound up and not detectable, especially if you have lots of corals, any algae, etc.

NO3 is easily increased with dosing. Get stump remover. Check the ingredients and make sure it is Potassium Nitrate and not the sufite variety. Spectracide Stump Remover is what you want. I think I got it at Home Depot. 2 Tbs in 500 ml of RO water. Dose 10 ml to raise NO3 by about 2.5 ppm in a 100 gal tank.
I don't have any corals yet, hoping to start getting some shortly.

Was really hoping to stay away from dosing if I could, but certainly appreciate the recommendation above if it comes down to that.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, dosing is the way to go...gives you more control imo. I would stay away from stump remover (you dont know what else is in it or how pure it is) and go with sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate..although sodium nitrate is preferred since the bi-product is sodium and its less likely you will run into any long term issues with elevated elements.

TonyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Sdot, dosing is the way to go. you are in full control of your phosphate & nitrate. Test - Dose - Test. I recommend raising to your desired parameters over a period of time so you don't risk shocking your tank.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, dosing is the way to go...gives you more control imo. I would stay away from stump remover (you dont know what else is in it or how pure it is) and go with sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate..although sodium nitrate is preferred since the bi-product is sodium and its less likely you will run into any long term issues with elevated elements.

I agree with Sdot, dosing is the way to go. you are in full control of your phosphate & nitrate. Test - Dose - Test. I recommend raising to your desired parameters over a period of time so you don't risk shocking your tank.

Thank you both for the input. My concern about doing is that then it is something I have to upkeep and remember to do. It's a small tank that sits on my desk, so I don't have a ton of room to hide equipment. Was hoping to get my tank to somewhat of a self sustaining eco system. I know this will be hard to do with a nano...

Do you think if I dose and get my Nitrates up they would possibly stay there?

U

User1

View Badges
Pick up a 4 oz bottle of Loudwolf Sodium Nitrate. Good stuff. Food grade. 8 bucks maybe I don't recall exactly. Do a search in the chemistry forum for it and one of the threads has a link to a calculator how to mix it. This is what I did - mixed a 700 ml bottle worth and then calculated my dose requirement to get me to 10 ppm.

Dosed 40 ml I believe and waited 24 hours then tested. Nyos kit came back at 12 ppm. I figured I was close and good enough. Let it go for a few days and measured again and it came back at 5 ppm. So I know it was getting consumed. Tested a few days later and it was now 3 ppm. So I'm guessing I have to dose about 40 ml a week to keep it where I want.

Then I was looking at why all of a sudden was my Nitrates decreasing (and phosphates to some degree). Turns out I switched a few months back to TM AFR and also their bio actif salt mix. The salt mix (bio actif) also does carbon dosing or has ingredients that provide a carbon dose like reaction and thus my nitrates bottoming out. At least that is what I'm thinking.

So letting this can of mix go through its course then will switch salts and I "shouldn't" have to dose anymore but we shall see. Loudwolf is good stuff. Affordable. Mixes well. Easy to dose. In my case once a week.

TonyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the input. My concern about doing is that then it is something I have to upkeep and remember to do. It's a small tank that sits on my desk, so I don't have a ton of room to hide equipment. Was hoping to get my tank to somewhat of a self sustaining eco system. I know this will be hard to do with a nano...

Do you think if I dose and get my Nitrates up they would possibly stay there?
it will be something that you'll have to track. you can get it to a point where you're dosing weekly (but you have to test first). Once you reach your desired level, I would test daily for a week (at the same hour of the day) to determine what your actual tank consumption is. Once you have that information, you can figure out how much you need to dose and how often. my SPS love elevated nitrates so I use a doser so I can be lazy. I rather do 10-12 small doses throughout the day than 1 large daily dose. I do understand the lack of room challenges and a you may have to get creative to make it all work.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up a 4 oz bottle of Loudwolf Sodium Nitrate. Good stuff. Food grade. 8 bucks maybe I don't recall exactly. Do a search in the chemistry forum for it and one of the threads has a link to a calculator how to mix it. This is what I did - mixed a 700 ml bottle worth and then calculated my dose requirement to get me to 10 ppm.

Dosed 40 ml I believe and waited 24 hours then tested. Nyos kit came back at 12 ppm. I figured I was close and good enough. Let it go for a few days and measured again and it came back at 5 ppm. So I know it was getting consumed. Tested a few days later and it was now 3 ppm. So I'm guessing I have to dose about 40 ml a week to keep it where I want.

Then I was looking at why all of a sudden was my Nitrates decreasing (and phosphates to some degree). Turns out I switched a few months back to TM AFR and also their bio actif salt mix. The salt mix (bio actif) also does carbon dosing or has ingredients that provide a carbon dose like reaction and thus my nitrates bottoming out. At least that is what I'm thinking.

So letting this can of mix go through its course then will switch salts and I "shouldn't" have to dose anymore but we shall see. Loudwolf is good stuff. Affordable. Mixes well. Easy to dose. In my case once a week.

it will be something that you'll have to track. you can get it to a point where you're dosing weekly (but you have to test first). Once you reach your desired level, I would test daily for a week (at the same hour of the day) to determine what your actual tank consumption is. Once you have that information, you can figure out how much you need to dose and how often. my SPS love elevated nitrates so I use a doser so I can be lazy. I rather do 10-12 small doses throughout the day than 1 large daily dose. I do understand the lack of room challenges and a you may have to get creative to make it all work.

Thank you, I appreciate all of the information and guidance. I'll take a stab a dosing to raise my Nitrates.

U

User1

View Badges
Thank you, I appreciate all of the information and guidance. I'll take a stab a dosing to raise my Nitrates.

You are welcome. Here is the thread I was thinking of. Randy's post has the link to the calculator. Hope it helps.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back