How to get the pump to start pumping?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I created a closed loop for my uv sterilizer everything is hard plumbed. So basically how it works a line goes from my tank to the inlet of my pump, and then the out take of the pump goes to the inlet of the UV and then Uv out to the back of my tank. Now i never thought about of how im going to get my vectra s2 pump to start pumping water from inside the tank?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the pipe is just over the top of the tank for the inlet? That's not going to work if so. You would have to put the pump in the tank to make that work out like you've designed it. If the tank is actually drilled and the pipe is below water line it will work.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Put a piece of airline up the intake pipe and suck some air out of it to prime the pump.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the pipe is just over the top of the tank for the inlet? That's not going to work if so. You would have to put the pump in the tank to make that work out like you've designed it. If the tank is actually drilled and the pipe is below water line it will work.
Yes but there should be a way to make a siphon and make it work. Without putting the pump in the water. As those pumps are made to run dry no? Like when u get the siphon running

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but there should be a way to make a siphon and make it work. Without putting the pump in the water. As those pumps are made to run dry no? Like when u get the siphon running
I'm unsure to those pumps. I haven't used one yet. But if so then yes start a syphon and you should be ok. I've used pumps capable of that before, just not long term usually for temp setups or draining something quickly.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get another small pump and force water into the inlet to prime the pump or you can get a bit of tube and from your return line into the tank use this motive force to prime the uv pump

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back