How to get vivid colors from SPS corals

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I have seen many amazing tanks that have very vivid colors. Very bright reds,blues,purples,pinks,yellows ,etc. I am just wondering how do yall get those colors to be so bright. Especially the reds and blues. Thanks

77railer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested as well...ive heard t5s are for growing and leds are for cooking (coloring up) but I'd like to hear what the experts say.

N4sty T4te

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly water chemistry I think, blue lighting. For sps the color is more uniform with T5. No shadowing.

Try dosing a coral color program like the one from Red Sea or Zeovit. Water changes won't adequately replenish trace elements.

Also ULNS systems can have pastelish tones. Some nutrients help.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Donovan. I would add stable parameters.

Stable parameters are mandatory for SPS survival. Took me two years to tune up with my tank, and I can see different shades of color pigmentation when on full spectrum LED. My colored channels runs full 4 hours, but I am experimenting a 20 minutes blue channels reduction (1/2 normal intensity) for every hour my colored channels is on. So for four hours time frame, 80 minutes my blue channels runs at half intensity.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny that sometimes we swear by the trace elements whereas some of the best sps keepers keep things as simple as possible with weekly water changes , high nutrients by feeding fishes , high light and high flow .
One of the best sps keeper - @Big E share your thoughts please ..

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would like to hear yalls experience with the red sea reef color program if you do not mind.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been growing sps for many years. Key to good color is IMO the basics.
Gotta have good lighting I use t5s
Gotta have a good bioload of fish to feed the coral. Feed the fish, the fish poop, then the poop feeds the coral naturally.
Gotta do regular water changes. Me, every 2 weeks 15% atleast. Need to replace trace elements regulary.
Cal, alk, mag, pot, dosing regulary.
Stable alk. On point every day. I test it daily.
Once a week use a tyrkey bastor to blow the detritus off the rocks in the tank. Keep the pumps running. This feeds the corals with out adding anything else to the tank ever.
My tanks are zero no3 and po4. Atleast undetectable. In my systems I get algae when I raise those number. But that just for me.
Feed fish 1-2 times a day.
I have good color doing this.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you keep alk calc and mag the same with waterchanges don't you put less alk calc and mag in or does it drop temporarily and then the daily dosing bring it back to where it is stable.

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep alk calc and mag the same with waterchanges don't you put less alk calc and mag in or does it drop temporarily and then the daily dosing bring it back to where it is stable.
Most people use dosing pumps to keep the levels stable. Also a ton of people mix bulk supplies of salt water so they know what the params will be at if they take out X amount and put in X amount. It helps a ton to have a consistency in your mix

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not do waterchanges because I will be starting coral colors by red sea which will supplement all trace elements. Also everything will beon dosing pumps for consistency. Only time water is changed is when water is taken out for acclimation or cleaning of the rock. How do you all test Iron,Iodine and stuff like that everytime I test I get 0 for Iron and the perfect amount for Iodine which is think is .6 right or .06

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't test for that stuff only because i havent started dosing my color program. Basics though, water changes, decent bioload, stable params.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cal, mag, pot, can flex a little bit as long as you stay with in the acceptable parameters . Alk is the only thing that I work hard to keep on the money every day.
Dosing pumps for cal and alk maintain them spot on. Every 3-4 weeks I have to make small adjustments up to compensate for growth. Mag and pot, I dose manually every 2 weeks. Right after water changes.
Depending on your coral growth, will dictate the demand on cal,alk,mag,pot.
Alk, alk, alk, alk, alk.............this is key. Stable alk super important.
Bioload also important.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron is transient and you cannot measure it unless it's within 2-3 hours of dosing .
I tried dosing iron and general consensus says it improves green which it didn't for me .

Regards,
Abhishek

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back