How to go about doing a 75% water change for a 75 gal tank

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank. In 2 weeks I need to do a 75% water change after treating flukes with prazipro in my display tank. How do I do this, I don't have the space or bins to mix that much water ahead of time. So what do I need to do, to do this large of a water change safely for the fish. Do you have any ideas or tips? How do you go about large water changes

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're gonna have to get those bins! Can't you get water from the Waikiki aquarium?

You can also do a bunch of smaller water changes, say, 20% every day for 3-5 days.

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to buy another bin and heater and some way to move the water for mixing. When I do larger water changes on my 75 I use a 32g trash brute can and a 20g brute can. Each are heated and have a power head for mixing. I also use 2 small 90g per hour pumps to pump water back into the tank.
After siphoning the water out I connect some 3/8 tubing to the pump in top can and begin pumping the water into the tank so I can wet the corals and keep them from getting too stressed. A few minutes later I attach tubing to the other pump in bottom can and pump into top can. After corals are submerged entirely you can walk away and finish other chores like WaveMaker scrubbing or media change out. The pumps will let you know when the water is about empty. The few remaining gallons are easy to lift and dump into the tank. Just remember to turn the heaters off when starting g to refill tank.

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're gonna have to get those bins! Can't you get water from the Waikiki aquarium?

You can also do a bunch of smaller water changes, say, 20% every day for 3-5 days.
I would but I dont have the space, I also won't be doing this large of a water change often. And I don't have a membership with them and I live on the opposite side of the island, I mix my own water because I cant transport that much water. I might try the smaller changes I'm just worried about the clarity of my water cause it's horrible rnand also leaving behind anything that the prazipro killed im trying to do the largest water change possible

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to buy another bin and heater and some way to move the water for mixing. When I do larger water changes on my 75 I use a 32g trash brute can and a 20g brute can. Each are heated and have a power head for mixing. I also use 2 small 90g per hour pumps to pump water back into the tank.
After siphoning the water out I connect some 3/8 tubing to the pump in top can and begin pumping the water into the tank so I can wet the corals and keep them from getting too stressed. A few minutes later I attach tubing to the other pump in bottom can and pump into top can. After corals are submerged entirely you can walk away and finish other chores like WaveMaker scrubbing or media change out. The pumps will let you know when the water is about empty. The few remaining gallons are easy to lift and dump into the tank. Just remember to turn the heaters off when starting g to refill tank.
Thank you im definitely trying to get some brute cans I only have a 20 gal rn I have the heaters and powerheads I use when I do my normal water mixing. And thankfully I have a fowlr system so no corals to worry about, it's illegal to have corals here in hawaii

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad, I thought the water was free from the aquarium. Well, since you're mainly trying to get all the prazi out, I would use ocean water for the 75%, then do frequent smaller (salt mix) water changes after that. For ocean water I would try to get away from the harbors if you can. Never tested the water out at Yokes, but my gut tells me it's the cleanest option :)

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon food safe buckets at about 5 bucks each....they stack inside each other so 10 dont take up much more room than 2...i'd bring the heat in the house up to 80...

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad, I thought the water was free from the aquarium. Well, since you're mainly trying to get all the prazi out, I would use ocean water for the 75%, then do frequent smaller (salt mix) water changes after that. For ocean water I would try to get away from the harbors if you can. Never tested the water out at Yokes, but my gut tells me it's the cleanest option :)
Yeah its definitely not free but affordable if you live out that way im in ewa so the gas there makes it not worth it, thankfully I live hau bush so it's easy to get clean saltwater cause no one is out here in it by the the sea wall

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon food safe buckets at about 5 bucks each....they stack inside each other so 10 dont take up much more room than 2...i'd bring the heat in the house up to 80...
It would take an awfully long time for the NSW to get up to temperature, don't you think ? My RODI water is pretty cold when first made; I have to use a heater.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back