How to grow coraline algae?

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I want to grow coraline algae in my tank (I am currently cycling). From what ive read, it is ideal to add coraline algae through other reef tanks. Will coraline algae grow on its own without such stimulus? I am using dry rock with live sand. Id love it if someone local (im in sacramento) or even someone willing to ship (id pay for shipping) could let me have some scrapes. If im misinformed about this, please let me know. I just want to get my rocks to that alien purple/pink xD

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a little live rock from your LFS that has coraline algae on it or when you start adding corals , some frag plugs will have coraline as well .
Got it. I wonder if my lps would be willing to sell me some haha. Id rather not add any more live rock as i have no need for anything else in my scape. Unless I just left it their temporarily...hmmm

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I wonder if my lps would be willing to sell me some haha. Id rather not add any more live rock as i have no need for anything else in my scape. Unless I just left it their temporarily...hmmm
You can ask them for a scrape of it , or find a Little Rock and I’m sure they’ll give it to you. My LFS even has hermit crab shells with coraline on it haha good luck tho !

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does calcium and alkalinity. It is a calcuifying (Not spelt right) organism and often is the thing that reefers use to know when they can have corals.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails and hermit crabs usually have it growing on their shells. If you are planning to get a CUC, start with a few at an early stage and scrape it off their shells to speed the process, alternatively it will spread on it's own.
Excuse my ignorance, whats CUC?

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful though as much as its nice to be able to grow soon becomes a pest. I have the whole back and side in my tank covered in it. And this skimmer gets cleaned every 2 to 3 weeks. My urchin keeps the rocks from getting smothered in it.
received_304394034269067.jpeg

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful though as much as its nice to be able to grow soon becomes a pest. I have the whole back and side in my tank covered in it. And this skimmer gets cleaned every 2 to 3 weeks. My urchin keeps the rocks from getting smothered in it.
received_304394034269067.jpeg
yesh. Not sure If I want that lol. I did not realize they could be that intrusive. Is it possible to avoid this without having to deal with such maintainance.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean Up Crew. Reefers get them to eat waste and nuisance algae in the tank. If you get them early to seed coraline algae, then you need to feed them as there wont be enough food for them in the tank.
Can I pop some cuc during my cycle or not worth the hassle/risks? Also, does coraline spread to sand?

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yesh. Not sure If I want that lol. I did not realize they could be that intrusive. Is it possible to avoid this without having to deal with such maintainance.
Not really once it starts growing goes abit mad. My tank isnt the worst iv seen either. Just keeping ur tank nice and stable it will appear. Notice the green to that is green coraline alage to.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont put anything in your tank during a cycle.

Also, if you plan to keep corals, Coraline will suck up your KH once it gets going.. It might be pretty but you will have to dose your tank quit a bit more with it in your tank..

Keep in mind also, this is a calcified algae. Not like that green hair crap but is plant based..

It can spread to sand depending on what type of sand.. if you have larger grain aragonite or crushed coral .. yes.. but if you are doing your maintenance right and vacuuming it, it is unlikely .

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont put anything in your tank during a cycle.

Also, if you plan to keep corals, Coraline will suck up your KH once it gets going.. It might be pretty but you will have to dose your tank quit a bit more with it in your tank..

Keep in mind also, this is a calcified algae. Not like that green hair crap but is plant based..

It can spread to sand depending on what type of sand.. if you have larger grain aragonite or crushed coral .. yes.. but if you are doing your maintenance right and vacuuming it, it is unlikely .
I definately want coral. Hmmm. I may need to rethink this...But it will grow anyway when introducing snails a such, correct? Does that mean inevitably ill get Coraline?

Back