How to grow coraline algae?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During mu ugly period I had no way of algae scarping and coralline was everywhere. Even the Urchin couldn't keep up, yes urchins eat it, for me on the glass it appears as a circle and surrounding it is film algae. Keep in mind I use water conditioner but I will get RO/DI soon.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline does not have to take over. and often doesn't.. If the rocks have enough cover the only place coraline might grow is on the glass. Gut it is usually inevitable that it will grow somewhere that there is light.. I wouldn't even try to seed it.. it will just happen if everything is good in the tank.. It doesn't like really high nutrients though.. at least not in my experience. but then only algae really seems to like a polluted tank.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, Ill check it out, although ive heard mixed reviews on those starters. Do you have any experiances with them?
this is what i used in my 240 & my experience with it is that it definitely works. it took a few months to get going i started dry rock bare bottom. but now it's caked all over everything & grows so fast if you don't clean the glass every few days it takes over & you cant see into the tank. it's a love /hate relationship with coraline.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what i used in my 240 & my experience with it is that it definitely works. it took a few months to get going i started dry rock bare bottom. but now it's caked all over everything & grows so fast if you don't clean the glass every few days it takes over & you cant see into the tank. it's a love /hate relationship with coraline.
So ive been hearing haha. I might just let it happen naturally through the addition of snails. I plan on have trochas as part of my cuc so ill just let it ween itself into my tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back